Eastern Michigan University
direct edit

Travel and Lodging

Group Behavior and Solidarity
Living and traveling as a group requires a strong spirit of cooperation and a willingness to place the needs of the group above personal preferences. We expect all the group to travel together, stay in the provided accommodations and participate activities together. The CHP is an interdisciplinary program. The unique and ongoing dialogue between students and faculty is born in response to program experiences and activities. We expect you to be receptive to the experiences offered on the program and respectful of one another and of the people and cultures visited.

You're required to carry an internal or external frame backpack. This facilitates travel and keeps personal effects to a minimum. Accepted students will receive more information on backpack specifications.

Program Travel
The program fee covers the extensive travel. Most of our transportation will be done by rail, aboard second-class express trains. We move quickly using public transportation, enabling you to mix as much as possible with local inhabitants throughout the program. In most large urban centers, you'll be required to purchase metro/bus passes.

Once accepted into the program, you'll receive information on arranging your flight, and advice about purchasing discount flights. Do not purchase a flight until we give you information for coordinating your arrival. *RT flight is not included in the program fee.

Where We Stay
The program fee covers the costs of program hotels, pensions, hostels and couchettes on overnight trains and berths on overnight ferry boats. Accommodations provide you with a variety of living experiences. International Youth Hostels usually provide dormitory-style rooms with multiple beds, a common sink and shared restroom and shower facilities. Pensions and Albergos are privately-run small hotels. Most accommodations are multiple occupancy. Some accommodations have lock-out periods during the day and curfews at night. You'll be expected to abide by the rules and regulations established by the program director at each of the locations. A disregard of these rules may lead to your dismissal from the program.

You must have a valid passport. If you haven't yet applied for a passport, do so immediately. Applications can be obtained at any county court house, passport agency or designated post office. The expiration date of your passport must be at least six months after the program ends. For complete passport information, including printable application forms, visit the State Department website. Applications can also be obtained at any county court house, passport agency or designated post office.

If you are a non-U.S. citizens, you may be required to have additional visas, depending on citizenship and are responsible for securing the necessary visas. The Office of Academic Programs Abroad will inform non-U.S. citizens about which steps to take to receive visas for countries on the itinerary. APA cannot be responsible for delays, detainments or losses incurred by non-U.S. citizens due to visa problems arising from their citizenships. Note: Canadian citizens used to be considered equivalent to U.S. citizens by the customs officials of many countries. This is no longer true and Canadian citizens might now need the same visa as any other non-U.S. citizens to enter some countries on our itineraries.

Because of special discounts available to students and young people, persons 26 and older may be charged an extra fee when they do not qualify for youth discounts.

  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linked in
  • Blog EMU
  • EMU app