- ACA info home
- Resolution of Julea Ward case leaves programs, policies intact at Eastern Michigan University Dec. 10, 2012
- Appellant/Cross-Appellee's Response to Appellee/Cross-Appellants' Petition for Rehearing En Banc Feb. 24, 2012
- EMU Petition for Rehearing En Banc to Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Feb. 10, 2012
- EMU statement regarding Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruling Jan. 27, 2012
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth District ruling Jan 27, 2012 (PDF)
- Media Statement October 4, 2011 (PDF)
- EMU's Appellees'/Cross-Appellants' reply brief filed Mar. 21, 2011 (30-page PDF)
- EMU's Defendants-Appellees'/Cross-Appellants' brief filed Feb. 4, 2011 (77-page PDF)
- Amicus Briefs filed in support of EMU (PDF files)
- Plaintiff/Appellant brief filed Dec. 21, 2010 (68-page PDF)
- Judge Steeh's July 2010 ruling (48-page PDF)
- Key points from the July 2010 ruling
- Excerpts from the July 2010 ruling
- EMU press release on the July 2010 ruling
- Contact: Walter Kraft, 734.487.6895
Using this website
- Updates listed below are in reverse chronological order: most recent updates are first.
- Information and documents related to the case are in the links at left.
- Contact for information on the case, and EMU's responses, is Walter Kraft, Vice President for Communications, 734.487.6895.
Resolution of Julea Ward case leaves programs, policies intact at Eastern Michigan University
DECEMBER 10, 2012: View the press release.
Appellant/Cross-Appellee's Response to Appellee/Cross-Appellants' Petition for Rehearing En Banc
FEBRUARY 24, 2012: Download the plaintiff's response to EMU's petition for rehearing (PDF).
EMU Petition for Rehearing En Banc to Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
FEBRUARY 10, 2012: Download the petition for rehearing (PDF).
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth District ruling
JANUARY 27, 2012: Download the appeals ruling (PDF).
Media statement: Julea Ward case oral arguments Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
OCTOBER 4, 2011: Download the media statement (PDF).
EMU reply brief filed
UPDATE, MARCH 21, 2011: EMU has filed its final reply brief (PDF).
Attorney General brief filed
UPDATE, MARCH 11, 2011: The Michigan Attorney General, Bill Schuette, filed a brief in the case. EMU's statement in response is here.
EMU files DACA brief in Julea Ward case
Ms. Ward now has until March 4, 2011 to file a further brief, and Eastern will have 17 days thereafter to file a final brief.
Julea Ward appeals summary judgment
UPDATE, DECEMBER 2010: Ms. Ward has filed an appeal to the sixth circuit court, requesting reinstatement of her case. Further details will be provided as they become available.
EMU receives summary judgment in Julea Ward case
On July 27, 2010, the Honorable George Caram Steeh issued a ruling in the case of Julea Ward v. Roy Wilbanks, et. al.
Judge Steeh, of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, granted summary judgment in favor of Eastern Michigan Univerrsity in the case of Julea Ward, a former student who filed a lawsuit in April 2009 claiming that the University discriminated against her based on her religion and violated her constitutional rights to free expression, due process and equal protection.
The Court upheld Eastern Michigan's right to establish the curricular requirements of its counseling program, which adhered to the Code of Ethics of the American Counseling Association (ACA) and the Ethical Standards of the American School Counselor Association.
Further information on the ruling is here.
Follow the links on this page to read the ruling, excerpts from the ruling, and key points.