Eastern Michigan University logo
direct edit

Transferring Credit

Following are some general rules for transferring credit to EMU. Contact a transfer adviser to determine transfer credits for your specific situation.

  1. EMU awards transfer credit based on the reported transfer practices outlined for institutions accredited by one of the following accreditation agencies:
    • Middle States Association of Colleges & Schools
    • Northwest Commission of Colleges & Universities
    • North Central Association of Colleges & Schools
    • New England Association of Colleges & Schools
    • Southern Association of Colleges & Schools
    • Western Association of Colleges & Schools
  2. The course must be a college level course (non-developmental/usually numbered 100 or higher).
  3. A grade of "C" (2.0) or better is required for transfer credit.
  4. You will be awarded the same number of semester hours at EMU as was earned at the transferring institution. For schools on a quarter credit hour system, hours are converted to semester hours on a 2/3rd calculation.
  5. Grades earned at another school do not transfer to EMU.
  6. Neither transfer grades nor transfer credit hours are used to calculate your EMU GPA.
  7. There is no limit to the number of credits you may transfer; however, degree requirements will apply.
  8. Questions regarding the assignment of general education credit are directed to the University Advising & Career Development Center or the General Education Director.
  9. Questions regarding departmental credit are directed to the specific academic department.
  10. Transfer students must earn a minimum of 60 credits from a four-year school, Advanced Placement (AP), credit by exam, CLEP or military credit. At least 30 of those credits must be earned at EMU to be eligible for an EMU degree, unless waived by an articulation agreement.

Direct Course Equivalencies

If the University has determined that the course you are transferring is equivalent to an EMU course, you will be awarded credit for that specific EMU course.

Non-Direct Course Equivalencies

Courses without a direct EMU course equivalency are considered elective credit(s) and are awarded general college-level credit. On the student's academic record, the credit will be listed with the appropriate subject followed by 000 (i.e. HIST000 indicated credit was awarded in history, although there was no direct equivalent course at EMU). Elective credit may also appear without a specific subject area (i.e. AACR GEN indicates a general academic credit for a subject not taught at EMU or an interdisciplinary course). In some cases, students may have to meet with an academic department to determine what, if any, transfer credit is awarded. Many performance related courses such as Music, Art, and Theatre require departmental review.

General Education Credit

Courses that do not satisfy a general education requirement upon transfer may be awarded general education credit after review by the University Advising & Career Development Center. On the student's academic record, there will be a subject area followed by the appropriate general education attribute (i.e. LITR GEKH represents a literature course used to satisfy a knowledge of the humanities requirement). New transfer students are eligible for some general education exceptions.

When a Course is Not Transferable

Courses that are not eligible for transfer credit are indicated with the applicable subject area, if appropriate (i.e. MATH NOCR or NOCR NOCR).

Transfer Credit Questions

Prospective transfer students may contact an admissions advisor for more information. General questions may also be directed to Records & Registration.

Additional Tools for Transfer Students:

EMU Equivalency List - see transfer information for courses from many Michigan and Ohio schools.

EMU Transfer Guides - find courses at your Michigan community college that fulfill requirements for a number of EMU programs.

Articulation Agreements - allows a specific degree from another institution (usually an Associate's) to be applied toward requirements for a specific Bachelor's degree at EMU - saving time and money.

Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) - allows students to complete 30 credits hours at a Michigan community college and transfer it as a block to satisfy the General Education Core Requirements once the EMU application requirements are met.

MACRAO Agreement and Ohio Transfer Module - MACRAO designates a minimum of 30 general education credit hours; Ohio Transfer Module has 36-40 credits which will satisfy general education requirements once the EMU provisos are met.

Michigan Transfer Network - students can access transfer credit information for several Michigan institutions in one place.