Alumni Chapter Grant Program
Guidelines & Procedure
2014-2015 Fiscal Year
The chapter grant program is intended to support events, activities and programs that increase:
- Good-will toward Eastern Michigan University and the EMU Alumni Association.
- A chapter’s visibility
- Membership to the chapter
- Scholarship funds
- Community engagement and awareness
- A total of $7,500 in chapter grant money is available each fiscal year. The fiscal year is July 1-June 30.
- The maximum request for financial assistance through the chapter grant program is $1,000.
- Chapters are able to apply for a total of $1,000 of grant assistance each fiscal year; this may be one large request related to a specific event or project or smaller requests related to multiple special events or projects. Smaller requests should each be made separately, with a separate application form.
Funds for the grant program are limited, please be aware that a maximum request does not guarantee that amount, and that all requests may not be fulfilled. The Alumni Association Chapters Committee is the sole determiner of the availability of funding for the chapter grant program.
Examples of chapter grants funded by the Alumni Association include:
- Events or programs that celebrate or further the work of the chapter and/or its members (i.e. conference, awards, fundraiser for scholarship)
- Membership drives
- Printing, postage and mailings
- Purchasing equipment for recurring use (i.e. banners, tents)
- Assist with underwriting the cost of an event/activity (i.e. graduation celebration, reunions)
Examples of grants not funded by the Alumni Association include:
*Alcohol purchases cannot be funded by the chapter grant program.
- Exclusive events only open to chapter members/executive board members
- Grants submitted by a campus department without the chapter’s support
- Tailgates at home football games – chapters can reserve space in the Alumni Association tailgate tent
- Complete the online Chapter Grant Request Form at least six weeks prior to the date the funds will be needed. Include event budget or expense quotes with application. Must be completed by a chapter member.
Example Event Budget
- The Office for Alumni Relations will forward the request to the Alumni Association Chapters Committee for review.
- The Office for Alumni Relations will notify the applicant within 7-10 days of the grant’s 1) approval, 2) denial or 3) need for revision.
Grant Payment Procedure:
Download the quidelines here.
The Office for Alumni Relations will work closely with the chapter to determine the proper method of payment for the grant. All University purchasing rules and regulations apply to chapter grant funding.
Fill out the Chapter Grant Request Form here.