Writing Consultation, technology assistance and research help are all available at the Academic Projects Center on a drop-in basis. Current services include:
Writing consultants will provide feedback on conventions of papers including content, structure, organization, and syntax and mechanics.
Technology assistants can help you learn the basics of the information technology needed to produce or disseminate a project. These include:
- Using Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Using FTP software to transfer files
- Converting documents from Microsoft Word to Adobe PDF format
- Using the my.emich portal (email, calendar)
- Preparing a poster for printing on the large format printer in the Halle Library
- Developing basic web pages using Dreamweaver
- Using EMU Online
- Using Flip Video Cameras, digital audio recorders, wireless presenters, laptops and netbooks available for checkout through the Library
Librarians are available to help with the research component of a project. Areas of assistance include:
- Getting started with research
- Identifying appropriate databases
- Developing search strategies
- Using library tools – catalog, databases, Find Text+, RefWorks
- Locating scholarly journal articles
A private room with a projector and computer is available for .5 hour reservations. The space is available to students practicing group or individual presentations. Reservations can be made in person or by telephone. More...
Since many of the projects or papers assigned to students contain a component for research, writing, and production or dissemination that involves information technology, providing a single location for students to receive help with all the components of an assignment will enhance student learning in these areas.
Appropriate referrals to more in-depth assistance available through the Division of IT and the University Library will be provided to those whose projects require assistance beyond the current offerings available through the Center.