Eastern Michigan University
Welcome to Counseling and Psychological Services!
We provide quality services that help EMU students reduce psychological symptoms, cope with difficult life events, and be successful in their personal and academic endeavors. CAPS also provides consultation to faculty and staff, as well as training to new mental health professionals in support of the academic mission of the University.
Overview of Services
We provide the following:
- Individual and group counseling
- Emergency services and crisis intervention
- Consultation to faculty and staff
- Workshops and educational presentations
- Training and supervision to master's and doctoral student counselors
All services are confidential and free of charge.
Clinical services are strictly confidential within CAPS. No information is released without client permission except in very limited circumstances mandated by law, such as when:
- the student is being hurt by someone
- the student is planning to hurt him/herself
- the student is planning to hurt someone else
Eastern Michigan University CAPS staff is strongly committed to furthering the academic success and general development of a diverse student body. To accomplish these aims, our staff actively works to promote a learning environment characterized by inclusiveness, where we value awareness and understanding of each other's differences and extend this spirit to the populations we serve, striving to treat all with dignity and respect. Diversity is broadly defined in terms of culture, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, religious/spiritual beliefs, socioeconomic status, physical and mental ability, and gender differences.
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255 (1-800-273-TALK)