Eastern Michigan University
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is dedicated to addressing the mental health needs of EMU students. Our caring staff provides free individual, group, and couples therapy using a short-term model. Medication management with our staff psychiatrist is also available for a fee. All of these services are confidential. CAPS also serves the EMU community by providing educational workshops, outreaches, consultation to faculty and staff, and training to master's and doctoral students in the mental health professions.
- Individual, couples and group counseling
- Emergency services and crisis intervention
- Consultation to faculty and staff
- Workshops and educational presentations
- Psychiatric medication management is available for a fee (all other services are free to EMU students)
All services are confidential.
Click here for more information about the types of services we provide at CAPS.
Is your situation an emergency?
If you believe you are in danger of hurting yourself or others, or believe your situation is urgent please call CAPS at 734-487-1118 or come to 313 Snow Health Center for an emergency appointment during regular business hours. We request that you arrive no later than 4:00 PM so that we have time to help you. If you believe that an EMU student is experiencing an emergency, you can call us at 734-487-1118 for a consultation.
After 5:00 PM and on the weekends:
Call 9-1-1 if someone is hurt or in immediate danger.
Go to a local emergency department. St. Joseph Mercy Hospital: 734-712-5637
Psychiatric Emergency Services, University of Michigan Hospital: 734-996-4747
Call CAPS at 487-1118 for after-hours crisis counseling.
Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 (1-800-273-TALK).
Check your symptoms
- Get a free, confidential screening to see if you could benefit from professional help with mental health, eating or alcohol use.
- Want specific feedback on your alcohol use and how your drinking compares to other EMU students? Try this free, confidential evaluation:
- E checkup Alcohol
- Concerns about marijuana use? Get an e-checkup to see how your use stacks up to other EMU students and to figure out if you want to make any changes.
- E checkup marijuana