Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, NIH/NIA Public Health and Aging - University of Michigan
Ph.D. - University of Michigan
M.S.N. - Catholic University of America, School of Nursing
B.S.N. - University of the Philippines
- Graduate Program:
- Nursing Theory
- Advance Adult Health Nursing
- Undergraduate Program:
- Essentials of Professional Nursing Practice
- Transcultural Nursing
- Nursing Research
Selected Presentations and/or Publications
- Pu, C-Y., Lan, C-F., Chou, Y-J., Lan, V. M., & Lang, H-C. (2007). Are people more willing to gamble as death is near? Comparison of standard gambling scores among five cancers. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstrct=945724
- Pu, C-Y., Lan, V. M., Chou, Y-J., & Lan, C-F. (in press). The crowding-out effects of tobacco and alcohol where expenditures are low: Analyzing expenditure data for Taiwan. Social Science and Medicine.
- Pu. C-Y., Lan, V. M., Lan, C-F., & Lang, H-C. (in press). The determinants of traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture utilization for cancer patients with simultaneous conventional treatment. European Journal of Cancer Care.
- Clark, J. & Lan, V. M. (2004). Heart failure patient learning needs after hospital discharge. Applied Nursing Research, 17(3), 150-157.
Lan, V. M. (2003). Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). In S. Price and L. Wilson (Eds.) Pathophysiology: Clinical concepts of disease processes (pp. 173-189). St. Louise: Mosby.
- Su, Y.L., Sheng, W.Y., Chiu, L.F. & Lan, V. M. (1992). A survey on nurses' knowledge and attitude toward caring for AIDS patients in a teaching hospital, VGH Nursing, 9(4), 429-440.
Lan, V. M. (1988). American students' transcultural nursing experiences at VGH: An evaluation, VGH Nursing, 5(4), 349-356.
Lan, V. M. (1988). Precautions nurses should take to minimize risks of acquired infections. VGH Nursing, 5(1), 85-88.
Lan, V. M. (1986). The value of cultural assessment in quality nursing care, VGH Nursing, 3(2), 170-174.
Editorial/Review Activities: Journals
- Applied Nursing Research, 2003-present
- Online Journal of Nursing Issues (OJIN) 1996-2006
Lan, V. M. Survey of Genetics Content in Baccalaureate Nursing Programs in Asian Countries. Podium presentation at the International Society of Nurses in Genetics (ISONG) Conference, October 11, 2006, Bourbon Hotel, New Orleans.
Lan, V. M. Survey of Genetics Content in BSN Programs in the Philippines: Preliminary report. Paper presented at the 15th Annual Eastern Michigan Scholarly Achievement Day, McKenny Union, Ypsilanti, Michigan, March 8, 2006
Lan, V. M. Genomics Research: Implications for Nursing Practice and Education. National Yang-Ming University School of Nursing, September 23, 2004
Lan, V. M., Liang, J., Chang, M.C., Lin, H.S., & Chuang, I.L. Transitions in functional status among the elderly in Taiwan. Paper presented at the Midwest Nursing Research Society 22nd Annual Research Conference in Columbus, Ohio, March 31, 1998
- Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS), Membership
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Rho & Eta Rho Chapters, Membership
- International Society of Nurses in Genetics, Membership
- Gerontological Society of America, Membership
- Genetics Program for Nursing Faculty supported by National Human Genome Research Institute of the NIH and the Cincinnati Children's Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Proposed, developed and coordinated collaboration agreement and activities between Eastern Michigan University School of Nursing and the National Yang-Ming University (NYMU) School of Nursing in Taipei, Taiwan (2004-2007)