The School of Social Work is still accepting applications for the MSW Program for Fall 2017. A final deadline has not been set, however you are encouraged to submit your application soon.
The application system has recently changed. View full instructions here. To complete the online application begin at https://www.emich.edu/graduate/apply/.
You will be applying in ApplyEMU through the College of Health and Human Services. In addition to the common application and transcripts, you will be submitting:
An Employment and Voluntarism form. Download here and complete to upload in the application.
Three professional recommendations. Recommenders will receive instructions via email and upload their narrative letter online.
- Specific Personal Statement that speaks to your readiness for graduate studies and connection to our mission. Your Personal Statement will be evaluated as a reflection of your writing skills, your ability to reflect and learn from your experiences, and as a narrative of your background, interests, and goals. You must be the sole author of this statement, but others may provide proofreading assistance and feedback. Your social work Personal Statement must be double-spaced and four to five pages in length. Within your Personal Statement, please address the following:
- Why are you a "good fit" with the mission of EMU's MSW program?
- In our society there are many types of privilege. Identify and discuss ways in your life in which you have been in a position of privilege, and how it might affect your work as a social worker.
- Discuss your reasons for why you selected your specific concentration (i.e., mental illness/chemical dependency, families and children, or services to the aging)?
- What are your mission-related career interests and post-graduation plans?
- Describe a situation where your attitudes about a particular stagmatized population (e.g., LGBT, people of color, persons in poverty, etc.) were challenged, and what you learned from that experience. In what ways are you ready to have your attitudes and social stereotypes be further challenged within an educational setting?
- What attracts you to the MSW program at Eastern Michigan University?
Note: You must complete the Personal Statement according to the requirements of the School of Social Work
Thanks for your patience during the transition to a new application system. Once you have submitted all of your materials please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that your application has been received.
If you are interested in applying for the MSW Program for the Fall of 2018, look for monthly Information Sessions to begin in September of 2017.
Apply to the MSW Program
Students must apply to both the EMU Graduate School and the MSW Program. To apply online to the Graduate Program, please complete the Graduate School Online application: Graduate School online application
Our MSW program is designed for working professionals, with classes on weekday evenings and Saturdays to accommodate the schedules of students who also work full-time in the human services field.
We offer three advanced concentrations for professional social work practice:
- Child and Family Services
- Mental Illness and Chemical Dependency Services
- Services to the Aging
All new students begin in the Fall semester. Priority deadline for applications is December 1.
We encourage you to attend an Information Session before applying.
To apply to the MSW Program, begin by attending an information session. Information sessions are held on the second Saturday of September, October, November, December and January from 10 a.m. to noon in the Marshall Building on the EMU campus.
Contact the MSW Program at email@example.com or 734.487.6892.