To ensure that the people carrying out social work have the skills for the task, the State of Michigan requires practicing social workers to be licensed. The following procedures will help get you there.
Download the packet
Master's Social Worker License packet
Fill out the forms
- Complete the "Application for a Master's Social Work License."
- Recent graduates begin by applying for the "Limited Master's Social Work License."
- All applicants must undergo a criminal background check, submit fingerprints, and pay a $40 fee.
- The application will require official transcripts to be sent to the licensing board to verify your MSW degree, to order your transcripts, please follow this link: Transcript Request form
- Remember to sign and date your application
For more information about Master's level licensing, as well as packets for renewals and other licensing levels, visit the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) Licensing and Regulatory Affairs website's Social Work licensing page.