1) The Scholarships for the coming Academic Year are now available on the School's website and applications are due by March 23, 2017.. Please note, scholarships are competitive and only a single person is named the recipient of the scholarship. Hence do your best to turn in an exceptional application and essay.
2) The Amount of scholarship money awarded is taken out of amount you receive loaned by financial aid. Even so, the real benefit of a scholarship is that a student is named as the finalist and this always looks very good on your resume.
3) Scholarship applications are reviewed by a committee. We receive many applications and cannot offer any feedback to applicants who were not selected as finalists.
To apply, use this link to access the application.
Antonia Colón MSW Summer Scholarship (SW)
- Master of Social Work student with financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.
- Must be enrolled during the summer semester.
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Preference is given to a bilingual student (English/Spanish.)
- Submit an essay that shows demonstrated commitment to serving people consistent with the EMU School of Social Work mission statement (500 word limit.)
Donald Loppnow Endowed Scholarship ($717.00 awarded in 2015) (SW)
- Undergraduate or graduate student.
- Possesses qualities such as: commitment to social work program missions, leadership abilities, and/or outstanding scholarly achievement.
- May consider financial need.
Leroy Watts Endowed Scholarship ($557.00 awarded in 2015) (SW)
Established scholarship in memory of Roy Watts for a student in social work with preference to a BSW candidate with a commitment to human justice, selected per criteria of social work selection committee.
Robert E. Wollack & Family Endowed Scholarship ($633.00 awarded in 2015) (SW)
- Graduate student in Social Work with concentration in adolescents and families.
- Preference given to minority males. 3.0 minimum GPA.
- Financial need.
- Ideal candidate should have professional social work experience and have demonstrated exceptional ability working with male minority adolescents.
Wolverine Human Services ($622.00 awarded in 2015) (SW)
- Undergraduate or graduate.
- Social Work major. At least part-time student.
- Financial need.
- Undergraduate= 3.30 GPA. Graduate= 3.70 GPA.
- Preference given to male, minority students.
- Preference given to Wolverine Human Services: employees or members of their immediate family; students who have accepted an offer of employment or are serving an internship at Wolverine Human Services with intent of employment.
Frederick Lane III Scholarship ($1,310.00 awarded in 2015) (SW)
- MSW student in the Family & Children's Services concentration
- Student with financial need as demonstrated by a FAFSA on file with EMU's Financial Aid office
- Essay to show creativity and innovation in pursuing social justice for children and families to be reviewed by the Social Work Scholarship Committee
- When there is more than one applicant, the Social Work Scholarship Committee will carefully analyze the student essay to select the most applicable scholarship recipient
Social Work Alumni Association ($443.00 awarded in 2015) (SW)
- A declared 300 Level Social Work student, either MSW or BSW.
- Financial need determined by the Office of Financial Aid.
- GPA minimum 3.25.
- Applicants must submit a written essay that shows demonstrated commitment to serving people consistent with the EMU Social Work mission statement (500 word limit).
College of Health and Human Services Scholarships
Dr. Everett & Mrs. Helen Marshall Endowed Scholarship
- Undergraduate student majoring in disciplines within the College of Health and Human Services.
- Students must be in good academic standing.
CHHS Annual Scholarship
- College of Health and Human Services Major.
- In good academic standing.
Blue Care Network of SE Michigan / Wade McCree Scholarship
- 3.0 high school GPA and 2.5 EMU GPA Average.
- Students must come from the Detroit Public Schools or other urban public school system.
- All the rest of the criteria would fall under the Wade McCree criteria.
Maxine & Donald Barr
Any student in good standing within the College of Health and Human Services.
John & Lois Porter CHHS Presidential Departmental
- Minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Junior or senior student majoring in one of the health disciplines in the College of Health and Human Services.
- Financial need.
- Selection based on scholarly performance and leadership potential.
Flossie Harris Whyte "21" Scholarship
Academically qualified and needy junior or senior enrolled in the following courses:
- Health Administration,
- Medical Technology,
- Nuclear Medicine Technology,
- Nursing, or
- Occupational Therapy.
Dr. Maurice & Virginia Landers
Must be a CHHS Major.