Eastern Michigan University


To ensure that the people carrying out social work have the skills for the task, the State of Michigan requires practicing social workers to be licensed. The following procedures will help get you there.

Download the packet

Bachelor's Social Worker License packet

Fill out the forms

  • Complete the "Application for a Bachelor's Social Work License."
    • Recent graduates begin by applying for the "Limited Bachelor's Social Work License."
    • All applicants must undergo a criminal background check, submit fingerprints, and pay a $40 fee.
  • Fill out page 1 of the "Certification of Social Work Education" form (we'll complete the rest and submit it.)
  • Download and complete the Transcript Request form
  • Remember to sign and date your application

Deliver the forms

Bring these two forms and a $5 transcript fee (in person or by mail) to:

Eastern Michigan University
Cashier's Office
201 Pierce Hall
Ypsilanti, MI 48197

The Transcript Department will complete the Certification of Social Work Education Form, process the transcript and then mail both to the State of Michigan as required. Questions regarding your application can be directed to the Michigan Board of Social Work at 517.335.0918 three weeks after the date you sent the application. Please allow 6-8 weeks processing time.

For more information about Bachelor's level licensing, as well as packets for renewals and other licensing levels, visit the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) Licensing and Regulatory Affairs website's Social Work licensing page.

The School of Social Work is part of the College of Health & Human Services, 304 Everett L. Marshall Building, 734.487.0077