The College of Education at Eastern Michigan University holds these distinctions:
- We are one of the largest providers of educational personnel in the country.
- We are the only institution in Michigan with 23 Milken Award winners.
- We offered the first doctoral program at EMU, and recently celebrated more than 100 graduates.
- We are a charter member of NCATE and have had continuous accreditation since 1954.
- We have the largest department of special education in the nation.
- We formed the first special education professional preparation program west of the Alleghenies, and it is the only one in Michigan that certifies in each specialty area.
- Eastern is the only university in the state of Michigan providing professional preparation in all areas of disability.