Registration is Closed
- $25 for Education Professionals
- $10 for Students
- Registration fee includes continental breakfast, lunch buffet, and parking
Continuing Education Credit
An application for five (5) State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECH) will be available at the conference ($20.00 fee - separate from conference registration fee).
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest. Use the reservation code: EMU-OUCIO
The College of Education (COE) at Eastern Michigan University (EMU) is hosting a day long conference on Friday, November 1, 2013 entitled, "Educator Preparation: A Call to Action in Michigan". The event will take place in the EMU Student Center Ballroom from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Keynote Speaker Marilyn Cochran-Smith, Cawthorne Professor of Teacher Education for Urban Schools, Lynch School of Education, Boston College University, will be presenting on, "The New Landscape of Teacher Education: Trends and Challenges".
Conference attendees will include Michigan PK-12 school administrators and teachers as well as administrators and teachers in colleges and universities preparing teachers and graduate students in educational fields.
Conference discussions aim to support the mentoring of teachers in schools, inform curriculum in teacher preparation, consider the impact of decisions made at state level, and provide input for future planning. Discussion groups will select from the following discussion stands:
- Leadership (administration, teachers as leaders).
- Effectiveness (institutions PK-12 and IHE, teachers PK-12 and IHE faculty).
- Engagement (social justice, equity, family and community).
- 21st Century Classrooms (technology skills and literacy, global competence, inclusion).
- 8 a.m. - 9 a.m. - Continental breakfast and registration
- 9 a.m. - 9:15 a.m. - Welcome and introductions
- 9:15 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. - Keynote
- 10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. - Break
- 10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Groups of 20 discuss selected strand
- 12 p.m. - 1 p.m. - Lunch and video from state superintendent
- 1 p.m. - 2 p.m. - Groups meet again and recommend action steps
- 2 p.m. - 3 p.m. - Groups report back in large session
- 3 p.m. - 4 p.m. - Panel review of next steps. Panel members include:
- Ellen Bonter, Superintendent, Lincoln Consolidated Schools, Ypsilanti, Michigan
- Donald E. Heller, Ed.D., Dean, College of Education, Michigan State University
- Flora L. Jenkins, Ph.D., Director of the Office of Professional Preparation Services, Michigan Department of Education