Mary Stevenson Brandau
Mary Stevenson Brandau, Elementary Education Leadership Certificate, 1992 A longtime educator at Willow Run Community Schools, Mary Stevenson Brandau has followed in the distinguished footsteps of her father, Robert Stevenson. Shortly after receiving her bachelor’s degree in Child Development and Teaching from MSU in 1975, Mary began her twenty-nine year career at Willow Run Community Schools. In 1978, while working as a Head Start teacher, Mary completed a Master’s in Early Childhood Education at the University of Michigan. In 1992, Mary earned an Elementary Education Leadership Certification from Eastern Michigan University. Less than a year later, she became principal of Charles F. Kettering Elementary School and the Early Childhood Development Center in the Willow Run Community Schools. During the eleven years Mary was in this role, the school received numerous awards, grants and accolades. As principal, Mary mentored many EMU students and alumni who worked at her school. Currently, Mary is an Early Childhood adjunct lecturer at EMU, which allows her to pass along her knowledge and experience to future Early Childhood teachers and professionals.
Robert J. Stevenson
Robert J. Stevenson, B.S. 1946 Robert J. Stevenson was a dedicated educator who began teaching early in his life. After graduating from high school in 1932 he landed a teaching position in Chippewa County in the Upper Peninsula. In 1943 he accepted a teaching position at Foster School in the Willow Run Community District. Three years later, Robert earned his bachelor’s degree in Education from Michigan State Normal School, now Eastern Michigan University. He later earned a master’s degree from the University of Michigan. As the school system in Willow Run grew so too did Robert’s career as an educator. After a year at Foster School, he became principal of neighboring Spencer School and ran the bookstore. In 1949 he took a year of leave to serve as principal on a U.S. Army base in Kitzingen, Germany. Upon his return in 1950 Robert continued to serve as principal and later became Assistant Superintendent in charge of instruction. In 1962 he became Superintendent of the District and in 1968 he went to work for the Department of Defense Schools where he was in charge of instruction for 55,000 students in schools scattered throughout the Far East.