All students seeking elementary certification through Eastern Michigan University, who are admitted to the initial teacher preparation program July 1, 2010 or later, will take a comprehensive Liberal Arts Major for Elementary Teachers plus a second major or two minors. Many of the courses in the comprehensive major will also count toward general education requirements.
Majors that students may select from are:
- Early Childhood Education (a major as of February 2011)
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
Minors that students may select from are:
- Early Childhood Education
- Integrated Science
- Language Arts*
- English as a Second Language
*Students cannot combine Language Arts and Reading minors for initial certification.
Students pursuing elementary certification with an endorsement in special education may select from the following majors:
- Cognitive Impairments
- Emotional Impairments
- Hearing Impairments
- Physical Impairments and Other Health Impairments
- Visual Impairments
- Speech and Language Impairments
- Liberal Arts Major for Elementary Education (pdf)
- Liberal Arts Major for Elementary Education with a Special Education Endorsement (pdf)
If you have any questions, please contact the Department of Teacher Education (313 Porter, 734-487-3260) for regular elementary certification.
If you have any questions about elementary certification with a special education major, please contact the Department of Special Education (128 Porter, 734-487-3300).