Eastern Michigan University
College of Education at Eastern Michigan University
Horizontal Spacer
First Renewal of a Provisional Certificate

All teachers must eventually advance from the Provisional Certificate to the Professional Education Certificate. A teacher with an expiring Provisional who doesn't qualify for a Professional can apply for a First Provisional Renewal (valid for up to three (3) years) if ONE of the following is complete:

  • Six (6) semester hours in a planned course of study or appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement(s) of the certificate.
  • 150 State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs).
  • Combination of semester credit hours and SCECHs (25 SCECHs is equal to one (1) semester hour).
  • Completion of an approved master's degree or higher at any time.

Semester hours and/or SCECHs must be completed within the three (3) years preceding the date of application AND since the issue date of the initial Provisional certificate.

College of Education