Forms & Resources
All teachers must eventually advance from the Provisional Certificate to the Professional Education Certificate. They can advance to the Professional as soon as they are eligible.
Eligibility requires completion of ALL of the following:
- Three (3) years satisfactory teaching experience within the validity of Provisional Certificate.
- Six (6) semester hours of reading methods for elementary teachers and three (3) semester hours for secondary teachers. Many teachers meet this requirement with classes taken in their initial teacher certification program.
- Three (3) semester hours of reading diagnostics and remediation (RDNG 503 for elementary teachers or RDNG 504 for secondary teachers).
And ONE of the following completed within the five (5) years preceding the date of application AND since the issue date of the prior certificate:
- Six (6) semester hours in a planned course of study or appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement(s) of the certificate.
- 180 State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs).
- 150 annual District Provided Professional Development (DPPD) hours.
- Or a combination of semester hours, SCECHs, and DPPD hours. 30 SCECHs equals one (1) semester hour; 30 DPPD equals 30 SCECHS or one (1) semester hour.
NOTE: A master's degree earned prior to issue date of initial Provisional certificate can no longer be used to advance to the Professional Education Certificate.