To apply to the Post-baccalaureate Teacher Certification program, send the following to the EMU Office of Admissions:
- Official Test Scores showing competency in each of the following areas: mathematics, reading and writing. Scores are accepted from the Professional Readiness Exam (PRE), Basic Skills Test (no longer offered), ACT, or Michigan Merit Exam (MME). The following scores are acceptable:
- Mathematics: PRE pass, Basic Skills pass, ACT mathematics 22 or higher, or MME mathematics 1116 or higher.
- Writing: PRE pass, Basic Skills pass, ACT combined English/writing 24 or higher, or MME writing 1129 or higher.
- Reading PRE pass, Basic Skills pass, ACT reading 22 or higher, or MME reading 1108 or higher.
- EMU undergraduate application.
- Non-refundable application fee.
- Post-baccalaureate Teacher Certification Department Application for Admission.
- Statement of Civil/Criminal Convictions.
- Complete a background check and print results. There is a $10 fee.
- Personal statement regarding your interest in becoming a teacher, explaining how professional experiences and/or work with children/youth have prepared you to become a teacher.
- Letter of recommendation from a professional source; the professional source should be able to talk about your professionalism and/or how your experiences with youth/children have prepared you to become a teacher.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. A cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.50 in all bachelor's degree coursework or a 3.0 in a completed master's degree from an accredited institution is required for admission. Interested persons with less than a 2.50 GPA should contact the Second Bachelor's Office at 200 McKenny Hall, 734.487.5497.
Once the Office of Admissions receives all of the required documents, your file will be forwarded to the COE for an admission decision. At no time is admission to the Teacher Preparation Program guaranteed until the appropriate representative of the College of Education (COE) grants approval.