Eastern Michigan University
College of Education at Eastern Michigan University
Horizontal Spacer
Post-Baccalaureate Students
Out-of-State Teacher Certification

A teacher with a valid Michigan teaching certificate can apply for a teaching credential in another state. However, each state has its own requirements and its own process for “out-of-state” teacher certification. Please visit the links below to learn about the requirements for the states in which you wish to teach.

Alabama Illinois Nebraska South Carolina
Alaska Indiana Nevada South Dakota
Arizona Iowa New Hampshire Tennessee
Arkansas Kansas New Jersey Texas
California Kentucky New Mexico Utah
Colorado Louisiana New York Vermont
Connecticut Maine North Carolina Virginia
Delaware Maryland North Dakota Washington
D.C. Massachusetts Ohio West Virginia
Florida Minnesota Oklahoma Wisconsin
Georgia Mississippi Oregon Wyoming
Hawaii Missouri Pennsylvania  
Idaho Montana Rhode Island  
*This information was last updated November 30, 2012. Please note that this information is subject to change.

Verification Forms

When applying for certification in other states, you may be asked to have a program verification form or an institutional recommendation form completed by the EMU certification officer or dean of the College of Education.

If you were a regular undergraduate earning a first teaching certificate at EMU, then please forward the request for verification to:

Office of Records and Registration
Eastern Michigan University
303 Pierce Hall
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197
Fax: 734.487.6808

If you were a post-baccalaureate teacher certification student, then please forward the request for verification to:

Post-Baccalaureate Coordinator, Teacher Certification
Eastern Michigan University
206 Porter Building
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197
Fax: 734.487.7089

College of Education