Eastern Michigan University
College of Education at Eastern Michigan University
Horizontal Spacer
Undergraduate Students
Questions? Email COE the Advising Center at coe_advising@emich.eduTransfer Students

Students who want to pursue teacher certification and a bachelor's degree at EMU must first be admitted to EMU. University applications can be completed online at www.emich.edu/admissions/application/index.php or submitted to the Office of Admissions, 401 Pierce Hall. For additional information, contact the Office of Admissions by phone at 1.800.GO.TO.EMU.

Students apply for admission to the Initial Teacher Preparation Program as soon as they have earned 56 credit hours, typically with 12 credits at EMU. See Admission to the Initial Teacher Preparation Program for additional information. Note the requirements of the ‘Official Test Scores’ bullet point.

Attend a group advising session during your first year of studies.

Transfer Agreements with Community Colleges

EMU has transfer agreements with many community colleges. Information about transfer agreements, as well as individual course equivalencies, is available online at http://it.emich.edu/service/online/tranequiv/.

MACRAO Agreement

Some students can complete a MACRAO transfer agreement with a community college before coming to EMU. Community college advisors have information about the requirements for the MACRAO transfer agreement. Prospective EMU students should be certain to tell their community college advisors about their specific interest in elementary education, secondary education, special education, or physical education. The earlier a student makes a decision about major, minor, and program, the easier it is to advise the student appropriately. Upon completion of the MACRAO agreement, students must ask their community college to put a MACRAO stamp on the transcript and send it to EMU. Please let your EMU advisors know if you are working on the MACRAO since that information is not available unless you tell them. Additional general information about MACRAO can be found at www.emich.edu/ccr/macraoagr.php.

There are general requirements above and beyond the MACRAO for community college transfer students seeking teacher certification. You need to make sure that you have completed the general education courses required for your certification program. The Using MACRAO to Transfer to EMU manual may be used as a reference in conjunction with your advisor.

Transferring Credits to EMU

Some transfer equivalencies have already been established with certain colleges and universities. Check out the transfer equivalency database at it.emich.edu/service/online/tranequiv/.

Students are expected to take their professional education courses at EMU since these courses are thematically tied together.

Upon admission to EMU, each student receives an official evaluation of transcripts. The student might be referred to specific departments or colleges for further evaluation of coursework by faculty advisors. When appropriate, a faculty advisor can write certain substitutions within her program area. Substitutions are written after the student has been admitted to EMU and the transcripts have been through an initial evaluation process in the Office of Admissions. Students may need to provide documentation like course syllabi and course descriptions in order to have a course evaluated by a faculty advisor. Not all substitutions are appropriate or approved.

When to Transfer to EMU

EMU accepts transfer students all year long. A prospective student is encouraged to apply for admission to EMU well in advance of the registration period for the semester in which the student wishes to begin. Registration for winter semester usually begins in late October or early November. Registration for summer and fall semesters usually begins in late March or early April. The registration schedule can be found on the Registration Appointments site.

Typically, the process of requesting, obtaining, and evaluating transcripts from other schools takes at least eight weeks, sometimes longer. Transfer applications for admission cannot be reviewed until EMU has all of the appropriate, official transcripts from previous institution(s). Transfer students with classes that are in progress at another institution should send a final transcript as soon as grades are posted for the semester.

College of Education