- The secondary teacher candidate documents 100 clock hours of experiences with children in grades 6-12.
- 60 of the 100 clock hours come from PRCT 305 and PRCT 311. Students must contact the Department of Teacher Education before registering for PRCT 305 and PRCT 311.
- At least 50 clock hours must be with a teacher licensed to teach in the candidate’s teaching major and minor within an appropriate grade 6-12 setting.
- At least one experience needs to be in an urban or multicultural classroom, which is typically accomplished during PRCT 311. Teacher candidates should seek as many diverse pre-student teaching field experience placements as possible.
- Clock hours are documented on the Pre-Student Teaching Field Experiences Verification Form (pdf).
- Clock hours outside of EMU classes require a signature along with appropriate documentation. As long as it is age-appropriate, and in a teaching/learning context, some field experience hours can come from religious education, coaching, tutoring, scouting, etc.
- For candidates pursuing the K-12 endorsement in a foreign language (i.e. French, German, Japanese, or Spanish), some clock hours in elementary settings must be documented.