Ceremony Information for Students
It's your big day! Follow the directions below to make it go smoothly.
College of Arts and Science and College of Technology
7:30 a.m. Doors open. Plan to arrive before 9 a.m.
9 a.m. Assemble in the lower level of the Convocation Center.
9:10 a.m. After you're lined up, the marshals and staff will give you the signal to proceed into the Convocation Center arena.
9:30 a.m. Commencement program begins.
College of Business, College of Education and College of Health and Human Services
Noon: Doors open. Plan to arrive before 1:30 p.m.
1:30 p.m. Line up in the lower level of the Convocation Center.
1:40 p.m. After you're lined up, the marshals and staff will give you the signal to proceed into the Convocation Center arena.
2 p.m. Commencement program begins.
- If you would like photos in the Atrium, please take them before the ceremony.
- Make sure your guests have their tickets and you've arranged for handicapped seating, if needed.
- Make sure to be in academic dress and in line before the processional begins––no later than 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
- Please do not bring any bags into the Convocation Center. Anything you arrive with is subject to search. Give coats, phones/cameras or other personal items to your guests to hold during the ceremony. You may not bring any items with you onto the Convocation Center floor and will not be able to return to the lower level rooms after the ceremony.
- Food, beverages and selfie sticks are not permitted in the Convocation Center.
- Upon the request of the Provost, the candidates for bachelor's degree will stand as a group. After the presentation and acceptance by the representative of the Board of Regents, all persons should be seated.
- The marshal will signal you to stand, one row at a time to come forward for your diploma cover.
- You will walk to the stage and give your name/address card (you received this when you picked up your tickets) to the name reader. (Print your name and address on the card and bring it with you to commencement. The card is used to announce you and mail your photo proof.)
- After your name is called, walk forward, take your diploma cover as your photo is taken and return to your chair.
- Remain in seated throughout the ceremony.
- Follow the direction of the marshals for the recessional.
After the Ceremony
- You'll then be directed outside the Convocation Center. Make arrangements with your guests to meet at a designated spot outside after the ceremony has ended. You won't be able to go back into Convocation Center after the ceremony.
Sunday, April 24, 2016
9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
How to Wear your Regalia
Cap & Gown
The gown must be hooked at the collar and remain hooked. The long point of the cap should be at the back with the tassel over the left temple.
Hoods (Graduate Students)
Place the hood over your head so the narrow velvet edge is at your throat. Take the bottom part of the velvet in the back and flip just the velvet so the colored satin is exposed.
Dark shoes are preferred; flowers should not be worn.
Following the tradition, men should remove their caps during the national anthem.