Eastern Michigan University
Sunday, April 28, 2013, Eastern Michigan University Convocation Center, 9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Graduates must be in academic dress and in line before the processional begins in order to participate.
*Please note that there are two ceremonies, and participating students must attend the ceremony that is designated for their College*
Morning ceremony (College of Arts and Sciences; College of Technology)
8:00 a.m. Doors open
9:00 a.m. Graduates assemble in the lower level of the Convocation Center
9:10 a.m. Processional starts to file into the Convocation Center arena
9:30 a.m. Commencement program begins
Afternoon ceremony (College of Business; College of Education; College of Health and Human Services)
12:30 p.m. Doors open
1:30 p.m. Graduates assemble in the lower level of the Convocation Center
1:40 p.m. Processional starts to file into the Convocation Center arena
2 p.m. Commencement program begins
Prior to the procession:
- Make sure your guests have their tickets and that you have previously arranged for handicapped seating, if needed.
- Do not bring coats, purses, or other personal items, as the rooms will not be locked and there will be no place to leave your valuables during the ceremony. You will not be readmitted to the robing rooms after the ceremony. There will be no room for these items on the Convocation Center floor. Please leave these items with your family and guests.
- No food or beverages will be permitted in the Convocation Center.
- Assemble in lower level of the Convocation Center no later than 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony. Doors open at 8:00 for the morning ceremony and 12:30 p.m. for the afternoon ceremony.
- Candidates for graduation who are attired in academic dress will form a line in the lower level of the Convocation Center.
- At the proper signal from the Marshals and staff, graduates will proceed into the Convocation Center arena.
- Upon the request of the Provost, the candidates for the bachelor's degree will stand as a group. After the presentation and acceptance by the representative of the Board of Regents, all persons should be seated.
- At the proper time, candidates will receive a signal to come forward for their diploma covers. Candidates will rise, one row at a time, on the signal from the Marshals.
- Candidates will then walk to the stage and present their name/address card to the name reader. (Please print your name and address on the card and bring it with you to commencement. The card is used to announce your name as you walk across the stage to receive your diploma cover and to mail your photo proof.)
- After your name is called, you will walk forward, receive your diploma cover as your photo is taken, and return to your chair.
- All candidates will remain in their seats throughout the ceremony.
- Candidates will follow the direction of the Marshals for the recessional.
After the ceremony:
- Graduates will be directed outside the Convocation Center. Please make arrangements with your guests to meet at a designated spot outside the Convocation Center after the ceremony has ended. There will be no re-entrance to the Convocation Center after the ceremony.