Sustainable Coatings without Compromise – Raw Materials and Coatings Technologies
March 28-29, 2017
Instructor: Dr. J. Baghdachi, PhD., and industry representatives
A sense of urgency is driving the frenzy of activity on both research and development of renewable and sustainable polymers and coatings. As we project into the future, there are growing concerns as how to address the two seemingly opposing issues of economy and sustainability. This course aims to discuss promise, potential and pitfalls of such technologies and the efforts that are being taken from raw materials to finished coatings, to reach the goal of Sustainable Technologies without Compromise.
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed to provide the most up-to-date technical information on the broad subject of sustainable materials for the coatings and paint industry including raw suppliers, coating alternative formulations and available coatings with focus on sustainability/performance and economics of materials. It is specifically recommended for formulators, raw materials suppliers, paint users, chemists, engineers, quality control personnel and sales and marketing personnel.
What you will learn:
• What is sustainable what is not?
• Potential resources of renewable materials
• Promise, Potential, and Pitfalls
• Sustainable materials vs. sustainable processes
• Sustainable technologies and processes, models and sources
• Commercially available raw materials: Polymers, resins, solvents, etc.
• Formulation of sustainable coatings
• The Life Cycle Analysis
• Unmet raw material and coating needs
• What products are sustainable what are not?
• The measure of sustainability
• The impact of Energy, Material, Infrastructure and Time
• Comparative raw materials and costs
• The chemistry and physics of materials from renewable resources
• Property comparison of conventional and sustainable materials
• Green raw materials technologies
• Comparative Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) of sustainable raw materials and coatings
• Potential routes for sustainable polymers, pigments and additives
• Examples of commercially available sustainable coatings
• Formulation of sustainable coatings
• Formulating sustainable coatings using ordinary materials
• Achieving sustainability through new polymer processes
• A-Z of Sustainable coating processes
• Achieving sustainable coating processes through formulation and application
Daily Program Schedule
Class times are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day.
Enrollment is limited to 25 participants.
The fee for the 2-day course is $950 which covers a course-book, lunch each day and all class supplies. Lodging and other meals are not included. A certificate of participation is presented to each registrant.
Read our registration deadline and withdrawal/cancellation policies*
Click the Register Now to be redirected to the EMU Professional Programs and Training secure registration site and select Polymers and Coatings.
In the event you are unable to participate, substitutions are welcome at any time – just let us know. Please notify us IN WRITING of cancellations and transfers five (5) business days prior to the start date of the seminar in order to avoid a processing fee of $150. Please email cancellations to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you do not attend the seminar and do not cancel or transfer prior to the start date, the seminar fee is non-refundable.
Please note that it is our policy to hold all seminars. However, EMU reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any seminar, if necessary, and to substitute presenters. We will gladly issue seminar fee refunds if cancellation is necessary, but we cannot be responsible for any airfare penalties or other travel expenses that may be incurred due to these changes.