The Master of Science in Quality Management degree program was approved in 1991 to provide graduate-level educational opportunities for the quality professional. Prior to that, as early as 1982, Eastern Michigan University had been offering quality courses in statistical process control and design of experiments.
Our vision is that the MSQM degree program will be recognized by its students and quality professionals as the nation’s provider of choice for best-in-class, quality-related academic programs.
The Master of Science in Quality Management degree is a university-based, academic program dedicated to preparing professionals for quality-related roles in any organization. To this end, the Master of Science in Quality Management follows the recommendations of the American Society for Quality, quality professionals, business and industry, academic institutions and government agencies to coordinate an interdisciplinary approach to education, research and development in the principles of quality and continuous improvement in the public and private sectors.
Our goals are that the MSQM program will:
- Become the market leader in offering relevant and contemporary quality-related, graduate education.
- Prepare professionals, regardless of location, to meet the needs of all public and private sectors for quality managers, quality specialists and continuous improvement practitioners.
- Provide relevant theoretical and practical, graduate-level courses linked to the solution of real, work-related problems.
- Ensure interaction between fellow students and professors through team-based academic activities.
- Exemplify the attitudinal and ethical tenets of quality and continuous improvement.
- Actively recruit a diverse student population and faculty.
- Extend its research and service capabilities to the public and private business sectors.
- Require formative assessment of all applicants seeking degree admission.
- Require summative assessment of all graduates.
We strive after these fundamentals in our approach to serving you. Our program will:
- Insist on the highest ethical standards in all of its actions.
- Keep customer satisfaction paramount.
- Treat all stakeholders (students, suppliers and employees) as partners.
- Seek, consider and apply stakeholder input.
- Endeavor to deliver the highest-quality education and research.
- Engage in continuous improvement.