He (Herman) Tang
Asst. Professor and Program Coordinator
Program of MS in Quality Management
School of Engineering Technology
18 Sill Hall (Personal office)
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- M.B.A., Industrial Management, Baker College
- Master's in Mechanical Engineering, Tianjin University, China
- Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering, Tianjin University, China
Prior to joining EMU, Dr. Tang was a lead engineering specialist at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA). At FCA, he led the engineering specialist team to evaluate, analyze, and help improve the system performance and capability (productivity and quality) of Body, Paint, and General Assembly at the vehicle assembly plants. He had also worked on the manufacturing development for five vehicle programs and launch support for seven vehicle programs.
Interests and ExpertiseDr. Tang’s primary interest and expertise are in manufacturing system development, assembly process planning, lean manufacturing applications, quality management, dimensional quality control, continuous improvement, and project management.
QUAL 320 Industrial Quality Control
QUAL 546 Total Quality Management
QUAL 548 Tools for Continuous Improvement
QUAL 550 Advance Statistical Process Control
QUAL 551 Design of Experiments
QUAL 647 Research Methods
QUAL 655 Technical Six Sigma
QUAL 690/1/2 Master's Project/Thesis
COT 894 Ph.D. Candidacy Seminar
COT 896/7/8/9 Dissertation Research
EM 540 Engineering Resource Management
Tang, H., (2018). “An Integrated Product-Process Hierarchical Modeling Method for Development of Complex Assembly Manufacturing Systems,” Procedia CIRP (ISSN: 2212-8271)
Velumani, S., Pitchiah, S., and Tang, H. (2017) “A Study Of Service Wait Time and Its Improvement In A Cafeteria Using Discrete Event Simulation” International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology (ISSN: 2321-7308), Vol.6, No.10, p.30-39.
Tang, H., (2017). Manufacturing System and Process Development for Vehicle Assembly, ISBN: 978-0-7680-8351-4, Warrendale, PA: SAE International (https://www.sae.org/publications/books/content/r-457/).
Tang, H., (2017). “Comprehensive Considerations on Material Selection for Lightweighting Vehicle Bodies based on Material Costs and Assembly Joining Technologies,” International Journal of Manufacturing, Materials, and Mechanical Engineering (ISSN: 2156-1680), Vol.7, No.4, p.1-17.
Velumani, S. and Tang, H., (2017). "Operations Status and Bottleneck Analysis and Improvement of a Batch Process Manufacturing Line using Discrete Event Simulation," Procedia Manufacturing (ISSN: 2351-9789), Vol. 10, p.100-111.
Tang, H., (2017). Automotive Vehicle Assembly Processes and Operations Management, ISBN: 978-0-7680-8338-5, Warrendale, PA: SAE International (https://www.sae.org/publications/books/content/r-456/).
Tang, H., (2016). “Characteristics of Repeatability Tests of Vehicle Body Assembly Fixtures and Considerations for Repeatability Tests,” Journal of Multidisciplinary Engineering Science and Technology (ISSN: 2458-9403), Vol. 3, No.10, p.5741-5746.
Tang, H., (2010). “Latest Advances in Joining Technologies for Automotive Body Manufacturing”, International Journal of Vehicle Design (ISSN: 0143-3369), Vol.54, No.1, p.1-25.
Tang, H., (2004). “BIW Assembly Manufacturing – Today and Tomorrow”, Body and Assembly International (ISSN: 1557-7104), Premier Issue, Winter 2004.
Tang, H., Hou, W., Hu, S., Zhang, Y., Feng, Z., and Kimchi, M., (2003). “Influence of Welding Machine Mechanical Characteristics on the Resistance Spot Welding Process and Weld Quality”, Welding Journal (ISSN: 0043-2296), Vol.82, No.5, p.116S-124S.
Tang, H., Hou, W., and Hu, S., (2002). “Forging Force in Resistance Spot Welding”, Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacturing (ISSN: 0954-4054), Vol.216, p.957-968.
Tang, H., Hou, W., Hu, S., and Zhang, Y., (2000). “Force Characteristics of Resistance Spot Welding of Steels”, Welding Journal (ISSN: 0043-2296), Vol.79, No.7, p.175s-183s, July.
Tang, H., Hou, W., and Hu, S., (2000). “Servo Guns for Resistance Spot Welding”, SAE 2000 Transaction (ISBN: 978-0768008432), No.109, p.710-717 (Paper # 2000-01-1289).
Tang, H., (2018). "Introduction to Vehicle Manufacturing Systems and Assembly Processes." Invited Presentation, Georgia Southern University, March 30, 2018.
Tang, H., (2017). "Automotive Manufacturing – Challenges and Solutions at a System Level," 9th International Symposium on Advanced Manufacturing Technology, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, July 16, 2017.
Tang, H., (2017). "Vehicle Assembly Systems, Processes, and Development." Invited Presentation, University of Texas - El Paso, Dec.1, 2017.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Awards and Patents
EMU Faculty Research Fellowship (2017)
James H. Brickley Endowment for Faculty Professional Development and Innovation (2017)
EMU Provost’s New Faculty Award (2016)
Associated Editor for
• SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing
• SAE WAUTO113 (Non-Event) Manufacturing Technical Papers
• ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC)
• International Journal of Research in Engineering & Technology
Technical Reviewer for
• NSF Proposal Review Panel - Manufacturing Machines and Equipment
• (ASME) Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering
• (SAE) Technical Papers and Transaction
• (AWS) Welding Journal
• (SME) Journal of Manufacturing Systems
• (IMechE) Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science
• (IMechE) Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering
• (IMechE) Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering
• International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology
• Journal of Material Science
• International Journal of Process Management and Benchmarking
• International Journal of Productivity and Quality Management
• International Journal of Industrial Engineering: Theory, Applications and Practice
• (CIRP) Conference on Assembly Technologies and Systems
• Journal of Mechanical Transmission《机械传动》