Samir Tout, Ph.D.
School of Information Security and Applied Computing
206 F Roosevelt Hall
- Software Designer, Perle Systems, Toronto, Ontario
- Software Developer, Unisys, Plymouth, MI
- Senior Principal IT/Security Consultant, Keane/GMAC, Southfield, MI
- Systems Architect, Compuware Corporation/OnStar, Detroit, MI
Interests and Expertise
- IA 103: Information Security Overview
- IA 329: Policy Development Info Assurance
- IA 416: Applied Research Projects in Information Assurance
- IA 542: Information System Security Overview for Managers
- IA 642: Enterprise Security
- IA 645: Data Mining for IA Security
- IA 651: Enterprise Incident Response
- IA 681: Data Mining for Security
- IA 694: Professional Seminar in Information Security/Assurance
- NITA 422: End-User Systems:Planning & Design
- COT 894: Ph.D. Candidacy Seminar
- COT 899: Ph.D. Dissertation Research
- Tout, S., Sverdlik, W., & Sun, J. (2006). Parallel hybrid clustering using genetic programming and multi-objective fitness with density (PYRAMID). Proceedings of the 2006 International Conference on Data Mining (DMIN'06), Las Vegas, NV, USA, pp. 197-203.
- Tout, S., Sverdlik, W. (2007). Clustering using Genetic Programming. To appear in the proceedings of the 2007 Michigan Academy of Science.
- Tout, S., Sverdlik, W., & Sun, J. (2007). Cluster detection with the PYRAMID algorithm. Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Data Mining, Hawaii, USA.
- Tout, S., Sverdlik, W., & Sun, J. (2007a). Cluster Detection of Special Datasets using the PYRAMID Algorithm. Proceedings of IAENG International Multi-Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists, March 21-23, 2007, pp. 812-817. (Chosen for publication in the special issue of the IAENG Journals)
- Tout, S., & Higgins, M. (2007). Web Services Conversion, Security Enhancements - Experience Report. Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE SOA Industry Summit (SOAIS 2007), Salt Lake City, Utah, July 2007.
- Tout, S., Sverdlik, W., & Sun, J. (2007b). Current Trends in Intelligent Systems and Computer Engineering. Accepted to appear in the edited Springer Book of IMECS'07.
- Tout, S., Sverdlik, W., & Sun, J. (2007c). A Hybrid Approach to Cluster Detection. IAENG International Journal of Computer Science, Volume 34 Issue 1, pp. 105-110
- Tout, S., Sverdlik, W., & Sun, J. (2008). A Hybrid Evolutionary Approach to Cluster Detection. Trends in Intelligent Systems and Computer Engineering. Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2008. Vol. 6, Chapter 42, pp. 619-636.
- Tout, S, W Sverdlik, and G Lawver (2009). Cloud Computing and its Security in Higher Education. In The Proceedings of the Information Systems Education Conference (ISECON) 2009, v 26 (Washington DC): Â§2314. ISSN: 1542-7382.
- Tout, S., Basal, A. (2009). "E-Security Global Governance". In The Proceedings of ECDC'09, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Nov 3-4, 2009.
- Tout, S., McMillan, W., Xie, Y., and Lawver, G. (February, 2009). CPS: Medium: RUI: The Enhanced Mobile Emergency Response System (EMERS). NSF grant proposal submitted to Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) Program. (Not Granted.)
- Tout, S., Xie, Y., and Lawver, G. (February, 2010). EDucational Games training Students how to Protect against Intrusion (EDGSPI). NSF grant proposal submitted under the Strategies components of the ITEST Program.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Awards and Patents
- Two GM-CIO awards for industry consulting excellence
- ITIL Foundation Certified
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certified
- TOGAF Certified
- IEEE Member
- AOGEA Member