Eastern Michigan University

Housing Accommodations

Residence Life and Residential Services (RLRS) collaborates with the Disability Resource Center (DRC) to coordinate housing accommodations for students with disabilities that impact one's living situation. Students must schedule a meeting or phone conversation with the DRC Staff to initiate this process. Students should contact the DRC about a need for housing accommodations prior to completing a housing application or within two business days of completing the housing application. A student given a room assignment through normal RLRS assignment processes before notifying the DRC of a request for housing accommodations will forfeit the opportunity to receive accommodation consideration.

The DRC staff meets with the student, assesses the situation and consults with Residential Services regarding reasonable accommodations when appropriate.

Reasonable and appropriate accommodations depend upon the disability, the housing environment and the steps necessary to create equal access for one's living situation. Requested accommodations need not be granted if it is deemed unreasonable, if alternative accommodations are available and/or if the student has already received desired placement through normal RLRS assignment processes. Please be advised that single rooms are reserved for individuals with specific living needs and for whom living with a roommate is not viable. The housing accommodation process considers access for living purposes only and not for other aspects of the college experience, such as studying. There are many options on campus where a student can study in an environment suitable for one's situation.

Students who are bringing service animals to campus do not need to contact the DRC or Residence Life and Residential Services but it is highly recommended to ease everyone's transition. A service animal means any dog (or ADA recognized alternative) that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler's disability. Animal waste must be disposed of properly, animals need to be on a leash at all times and the University's facilities cannot be used for cleaning or grooming. The Associate Director for Residential Services is available for consultation.

Requests for on-campus living accommodations should be made to the DRC as soon as possible. As more and more housing spaces are assigned to all students, fewer reasonable accommodation options may be available. Students should schedule an appointment with the DRC or initiate an email or phone conversation to discuss further. The DRC is located in 240 Student Center, the phone number is (734) 487-2470 and the email address is drc@emich.edu.   Students are encouraged to complete the Housing Accommodation Request Form (available on DRC website in the Forms Library) prior to contacting the DRC but this can be done during the conversation as well. Requests for therapy animals should be made to the DRC directly, as separate forms are required in these cases.

Please note the decision process may take 7 – 14 days from when the DRC receives all needed information and/or documentation and may require the provision of additional documentation based on each individual circumstance. Requests for additional information may extend the decision-making process.

The DRC and RLRS are committed to assisting students make their own campus stay accessible and welcome the chance to coordinate accommodations as appropriate.

Make a Gift
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linked in
  • Blog EMU
  • EMU app