There are 12 full-time tenured faculty in the department, eight faculty hold the rank of Full Professor, three are Associate Professor and one Assistant Professor. There are two regular lecturers and several adjuncts. The faculty of the Department of Economics has been professionally active and highly productive in research and scholarship.
- During the last decade, the department has published several articles in approximately 15 different refereed journals in fields of econonomics, finance, public policy, pyschology, and health. A number of these articles have been published in highly visible journals, such as the Applied Economics, Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Behaviour Research and Therapy, British Journal of Urology, Defence and Peace Economics, Economics Bulletin, Journal of Economic History, Journal of Economics and Finance, Journal of Finance, Journal of Pediatric Psychology, Journal of Political Economy, Journal of Human Resources, Journal of Income Distribution, Journal of Sports Economics, Pain, Public Finance Review, Review of Black Political Economy, and Social Science Journal.
- Well-trained faculty - all faculty hold an earned Ph.D. in Economics from a wide variety of highly recognized Universities throughout the U.S.
- The publication record of the faculty is far above the rest of the University. We currently rank 13th out of a list of all Master's Degrees in Economics programs in the U.S. In addition, many serve as referees for journals in the economics discipline.
- Some of the most effective classroom instructors at EMU are Economics professors. They have received the EMU Alumni Teaching Excellence Award, Golden Key Award, Student Appreciation Award of the Economics Club at EMU, etc.
- A number of our faculty have been awarded sabbaticals and fellowships.
- The Economics Department has a high productivity rate based on credit hours per faculty.
The Economics Department services all colleges in the University, and collaborates with other colleges/departments in joint programs such as the Health Administration Program with the college of Health and Human Services, BBA Program with the College of Business, and Actuarial Sciences & Economics with the Mathematics Department.
The department offers, in addition to standard economic programs for the undergraduate and graduate students, several unique programs such as MA in Health economics, MA in Applied Economics, MA in International Economics & Development, and Graduate Certificate in Medical economics.
Our recent graduates obtained jobs in wide variety of industries and companies such as:
- Ally Bank
- Auto Owners Insurance
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Cabela's Corporate Headquarters
- Centre for Automotive Research
- Ford Motor Co.
- National Societe Generale Bank
- Price Waterhouse Coopers
- Public Policy Asscoiates Inc.
- South Coast Air Quality Management District
- Thomson Reuters
Our students also entered prestigous Ph.D. and Masters programs after completing their studies at EMU. Some of these universities are:
- Arizona State University
- Brandeis University
- Michigan State University
- University Illinois - Chicago
- University of Iowa
- University of Kentucky
- University of Michigan
- University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
- University of Oregon
- University of Pittsburgh
- Washington State University - Pullman
- Wayne State University