Community Engagement History
Eastern Michigan University has a tradition of engagement with the community since its founding in 1849.
Some of the most visible public linkages to communities over the years have been:
- 1870s Richard Gause Boone set this teacher-training school on a path towards being a broad-based university integrally involved with the Ypsilanti and regional community.
- 1925 (through 1969) Roosevelt High School was operated on campus as a laboratory school for the normal school teachers, providing private education for local residents.
- 1945-48 Eastern Michigan College trained soldiers for the military and experienced a population explosion after World War II.
- 1970 SOS ("Students Offering Support") was founded by EMU students and faculty to help peers resolve inter-generational and drug-related conflicts by providing a 24-hour crisis line, walk-in counseling center and emergency outreach. The organization evolved into a large nonprofit agency providing housing crisis service and homeless family and children's services to the community with continued support of EMU faculty and students.
- 2001-02 EMU became an American Humanics University, a national alliance of colleges, universities and nonprofit organizations preparing undergraduates for careers with youth and human service agencies.