Number 1 (Winter 1999)
· Bach, Rebecca. "Titus Andronicus, Transcedence and Succession"
· Garlepp Burns, Karen. "The Paradox of Objectivity in the Realist Fiction of Edith Wharton and Kate Chopin"
· Ellis, Juniper. "Engendering Melville"
· Robinson, Lori. "Writing Reconstruction: Race and 'Visualist Identity' in Whitelaw Reid's After the War"
· Shumway, David. "Romance in the Romance: Love and Marriage in Turn-of-the-Century Best Sellers"
Number 2 (Spring 1999)
· Graziano, Anne. "The Death of the Working-Class Hero in Mary Barton and Alton Locke"
· Goh, Robbie B. H. "Textual Hyde and Seek: 'Gentility,' Narrative Play and Proscription in Stevenson's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"
· Wall, Kathleen. "Frame Narratives and Unresolved Contradictions in Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own"
· Masters, Joshua J. "Race and the Infernal city in Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities"
· Rees, Richard. "Good Will Hunting or Wild Goose Chase?: Masculinities and the Myth of Class Mobility"
Number 3 (Fall 1999)
Special Issue: "The Masses" in U.S. Literature and Culture, ed. Joel Woller
· Woller, Joel. Introduction
· Maloney, Courtney. "The Faces in Lonesome's Crowd: Imaging the Mass Audience in A Face in the Crowd"
· Cunningham, Charles. "To Watch the Faces of the Poor: Life Magazine and the Mythology of Rural Poverty in the Great Depression"
· Schreibersdorf, Lisa. "Radical Mothers: Maternal Testimony and Metaphor in Four Novels of the Gastonia Strike"
· Foley, Barbara. "Reading Redness: Politics and Audience in Ralph Ellison's Early Short Fiction"
· Woller, Joel. "First-Person Plural: The Voice of the Masses in Farm Security Administration Documentary"