Integrated Marketing Communications
For the most up-to-date information on the IMC program, visit emich.edu/imc.
The M.S. IMC program will be conducted exclusively online. Twelve rigorous three-credit courses will be required, culminating with a capstone experience in which students prepare a cohesive IMC plan for a real-world client.
Goal and Objectives
- Develop a foundation amongst students for identifying stakeholders; learning the strengths, weaknesses and applications of each communications vehicle; and for competency in preparing cohesive IMC plans.
- Achieve an understanding of the primary role of IMC as the key to building brand image and brand equity.
- Prepare graduates of the IMC program to be able to:
- Identify all stakeholders as an early step in the IMC process;
- Identify the situations when each functional area of IMC can be effectively utilized;
- Discuss various factors in the global environment and how they influence IMC decisions;
- Explain how brand equity is built, measured and managed;
- Identify the factors that shape consumer decision making;
- Plan IMC message communications strategies;
- Explain the meaning of developing the same message across different vehicles;
- Demonstrate how marketing objectives are translated into effective media strategies;
- Explain how the Internet and other new media vehicles can be used to build customer relationships;
- Discuss the roles of direct marketing in acquiring and retaining customers and building loyalty;
- Explain how to measure the results of a direct marketing campaign;
- Discuss how to use research for creative development and measuring the impact of the brand communications programs;
- Explain the applications of sales promotion to build traffic, launch new products and build brands;
- Identify the ethical and regulatory issues surrounding IMC;
- Develop evaluative standards to determine success/failure of any given IMC campaign;
- Develop a comprehensive and viable IMC plan for a real-world profit or nonprofit organization.
- Be research-oriented and gain respect for developing knowledge in this discipline.
- Reinforce the theme of developing innovative, applied and global programs.
Graduate Programs Office
306 Gary M. Owens Building
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI 48197