K-12 School Administrator Certification
The State of Michigan K-12 School Administrator Certification is a state-supported post-master’s professional development option for prospective and current educators who seek enhanced training in school and/or district leadership, management and instruction. This credential, reinstated by legislative approval in 2007, coincides with an ongoing process of Michigan state certification available through designated post-secondary institutions (including Eastern Michigan University) for the Basic (Initial) Certificate in K-12 Administration (school/assistant principal licensure).
The Basic Certificate in K-12 Administration may also be earned as part of the Master’s or Specialist’s Degree Program in Educational Leadership at Eastern Michigan University.
- Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the Graduate School.
- Applicants must have completed a master’s degree from an accredited University with a minimum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.
- International students must meet the following additional criteria; an official score report from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Test System IELTS), or the Michigan English Language Assessment Batter (MELAB) must be sent by the testing service directly to the University. Student score reports, faxes or photocopies will not be considered official. Minimum scores for admission is 550 (Paper-based Test), or 79 (Internet-based Test ) for the TOEFL; 77 on MELAB; or 6.5 (or higher) on the IELTS. If the TOEFL is taken, the Test of Written English (TWE) is also required. A Conditional admission may be available to those students falling just below the minimum score requirements.
- Applicants must submit confidential appraisal forms from two professional supervisors and/or supervising professors that address the quality of the applicant’s professional work. Applicants may receive these forms from the department office or on the department website. Recommendation forms are due with the Application for Graduate Admissions form.
- Applicants must submit a résumé that details their professional and educational experiences.
- Applicants must submit the Graduate Application for Admission.
- On the graduate application, students must complete the personal statement of accomplishments and academic goals portion describing the reasons for requesting admission. This essay must be a minimum of 250 words and will be reviewed as an indicator of writing ability.