The construction management major includes course work in general education with specified science and mathematics courses, business courses, electives (a list of recommended course electives that require the prior approval of a construction or facility management advisor) and technical courses. A minor is not required. A C- or better is required for all major courses.
The construction management major is designed to prepare men and women for middle- and upper-level management in the construction industry. The major has been developed in cooperation with experts from the construction industry, guidelines established by major construction associations, and feedback from employers and graduates. The construction management major reflects the current needs and trends in the construction industry and is accredited by the American Council for Construction Education.
Click here to watch a short video about this program
An articulation agreement exists between this program and at least one community college. To see a current list of program articulation agreements, please click here.
General Education Requirements:
For specific requirements refer to the General Education Program .
Major Requirements: 97 hours
Required Courses: 52 hours
- CNST 125 - Introduction to Construction 3 hrs
- CNST 201 - Construction Systems 3 hrs
- CNST 202 - Construction Materials 3 hrs
- CNST 206 - Surveying 3 hrs
- CNST 213 - Construction Safety 3 hrs
- CNST 228 - Construction Graphics 3 hrs
- CNST 229 - Analysis of Commercial Prints 3 hrs
- CNST 302 - Contract Documents, Regulations, and Specifications 3 hrs
- CNST 303 - Electrical, Mechanical, and Equipment Systems 3 hrs
- CNST 304 - Construction Estimating and Bidding 3 hrs
- CNST 361 - Planning and Scheduling 3 hrs
- CNST 385L4 - Cooperative Education in Construction Management (GELB) 1 hr
- CNST 403 - Production Control 3 hrs
- CNST 406W - Construction Law (GEWI) 3 hrs
- CNST 412 - Fundamentals of Structural Design 3 hrs
- CNST 436 - Heavy/Highway Construction Means and Methods 3 hrs
- CNST 440 - LEED for New Construction and Major Renovations 3 hrs
- CNST 450 - Fundamentals of Construction Project Management 3 hrs
Construction Management Restricted Electives: 12 hours
12 hours from the following (Minimum one course with CNST prefix):
- CNST 426 - Mechanical and Electrical Construction Applications 3 hrs
- CNST 427 - Industrial Construction 3 hrs
- CNST 437 - Environmental Construction Contracting 3 hrs
- CNST 438 - Fundamentals of Land Development 3 hrs
- CNST 446 - Professional Issues and Ethics in Project Management 1 hr
- CNST 479 - Special Topics 3 hrs
- CNST 497 - Directed Study in Construction Management Techniques 1 hrs
- GHPR 335 - Historic Preservation 3 hrs
- IDE 131 - Interior Design Theory I 3 hrs
- IDE 317 - Lighting Systems for Interior Designers 3 hrs
- MATH 105 - College Algebra (GEQR) 3 hrs
- MATH 107 - Plane Trigonometry 2 hrs
- URP 215 - Introduction to Urban and Regional Planning 3 hrs
Business Major Requirements: 15 hours
- ACC 240 - Principles of Financial Accounting 3 hrs
- LAW 293 - Legal Environment of Business 3 hrs
- MGMT 202 - Business Communication 3 hrs
- MGMT 384 - Human Resource Management 3 hrs
- Any course from the College of Business not already taken 3 hrs
Natural Sciences/Math Restricted Elective: 4 hours
Four hours from the following:
General Restricted Electives: 14 hours
This program does not require a minor.
Students must earn a minimum total of 124 credits at the 100-level or above.
This program is available at an EMU off-campus location. For a list of locations, please click here .