Nursing (R.N./B.S.N Completion)
Listen to a Webinar on this program.
The Nursing Program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. An active articulation agreement exists between the BSN Completion program and many community colleges. To see a current list of community colleges with program articulation agreements with EMU, please click here.
There are three options within the undergraduate BSN Nursing Program at Eastern Michigan University:
- B.S.N. for students who are NOT already Registered Nurses and wish to obtain a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing. Major Code: NUR
- B.S.N. Completion. - for students who are already Registered Nurses (generally with a diploma or Associates Degree) who wish to obtain a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing. This is the Nursing Major - B.S.N. Completion. Major Code: NURC
- B.S.N. Second Degree - for students who possess a Baccalaureate Degree in another discipline and wish to obtain a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing. This is the Nursing Major - B.S.N. Second Degree. Major Code: NURB
School of Nursing Information:
Interim School Director: Michael L. Williams, Ph.D., RN, CCRN, CNE
School Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For initial inquiry for the BSN Completion Program, please submit your information online at https://crm.orionondemand.com/crm/forms/N7708KBc0k0kx6700pM4 An advisor will return your query within 24-48 hours. If you do not receive a response within 48 hours, please contact the RN/BSN Program Coordinator (Bobbi Towne, MSN, RN) at 734-487-2340.
Note: Applicants who hold a RN license and a bachelor’s degree in another discipline who are seeking admission to the RN/BSN Completion Program must also meet with the EMU Second-Degree Advisor in addition to the above requirements (734-487-7121).
B.S.N. COMPLETION PROGRAM
The BSN Completion program at EMU requires a separate application and admission process. While students may be admitted to the University as a Nursing Intent student (Major Code: INRC), admission to the BSN Completion program is not guaranteed.
Applicants are considered for selection into the BSN Completion Program based on the following criteria:
- Hold a current unrestricted license to practice as a Registered Nurse.
- A 2.5 or better cumulative college G.P.A (4.0 scale)
- Successful completion of a college level course in English composition with a minimum course grade of 3.0 (4.0 scale) or higher prior to entry into the program.
- Successful completion of the TOEFL or MELAB scores to meet EMU requirements if English is a second language.
- Successful completion of IHHS 279 Reading & Writing in Nursing Studies (effective Winter 2014)
The University may give credit for nursing courses taken at another college of university; however, the School reserves the right to make the final decision on course substitution based on examination of course materials. Requirements may vary based on prior education. Students must speak with a pre-admission counselor in the CHHS Intent Advising Office (734.487.0918) for details on transfer equivalencies
- Apply to Eastern Michigan University. Consult with the EMU Office of Admissions regarding application forms, procedures, requirements and deadlines. Admission to the university takes an average of 2-3 weeks.
- Submit official transcripts from each educational institution you have attended so your EMU admission application can be processed.
- After admission to the university and receipt of your EID (student number), submit a separate application to the EMU School of Nursing for the RN/BSN Completion Program. The application can be found on the EMU School of Nursing website.
Note: Priority for admission to the RN/BSN Completion program will be given to those applicants who have completed general education requirements at EMU or are MACRAO satisfied from their community college.
*Applicants who hold a RN license and a bachelor’s degree in another discipline who are seeking admission to the RN/BSN Completion Program must also meet with the EMU Second-Degree Advisor in addition to the above requirements (734-487-7121).
**Effective Winter 2015, students applying for the BSN Completion Program must be MACRAO satisfied or have completed all EMU general education requirements before beginning nursing courses.
Application deadline dates and starting dates of courses vary according to the site (see EMU School of Nursing website for options in site locations).
General Education Requirements:
For specific requirements refer to the General Education Program .
Additional Requirements: 25-28 hours
- BIO 328 - Introductory Microbiology 3 hrs
- CHEM 120 - Fundamentals of Organic and Biochemistry (Gen Ed Area IV) 4 hrs
- DTC 203 - Nutrition for Health Professionals 3 hrs
- PSY 101 - General Psychology Lecture (Gen Ed Area IV*) 3 hrs
One course from the following:
- EDPS 325 - Life Span Human Growth and Development 4 hrs
- IHHS 260 - Aging to Infancy: A Life Course Retrospective 3 hrs
One course from the following:
- ANTH 135 - Introduction to Cultural Anthropology (Gen Ed Area III, IV) 3 hrs
- SOCL 105 - Introductory Sociology (Gen Ed Area IV) 3 hrs
One of the following two course sequences:
Sports Medicine Sequence
- SPMD 201 - Human Anatomy for Sports Medicine 3 hrs
- SPMD 202 - Human Physiology for Sports Medicine 3 hrs
- BIO 251 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I 4 hrs
- BIO 252 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II 4 hrs
Major Requirements: 60 hours
Required Courses: 55 hours
- NURS 220 - Health Assessment 2 hrs
- NURS 260 - Pathophysiology 4 hrs
- NURS 270 - Pharmacology 3 hrs
- NURS 275 - Essentials of Professional Nursing Practice I 3 hrs
- NURS 372 - Nursing Research 2 hrs
- NURS 375W - Essentials of Professional Nursing Practice II (Gen Ed Area I, W) 3 hrs
- NURS 450 - Community Health Nursing 2 hrs
- NURS 451 - Community Health Nursing Clinical 3 hrs
- NURS 475 - Essentials of Professional Nursing Practice III 3 hrs