Financial Aid and Scholarships
If you attend an approved program and meet eligibility requirements, you can take advantage of state, federal, EMU institutional and private financial aid. The entire cost of a program is considered in determining your financial need. If you're attending an EMU program, it will appear as regular EMU credit on your transcript.
In the case of third-party provider programs (such as CIEE), the credit will appear as transfer credit. If the third-party program is approved for credit in advance and the sponsor is an accredited Title IV institution, you may be eligible for state and federal financial aid. You'll need the program sponsor to fill out a consortium agreement, (a form provided by EMU's Office of Financial Aid) and return it, signed by an authorized individual, to the EMU Office of Financial Aid.
Faculty-led programs over Winter Break are part of Winter semester. You can apply financial aid and scholarships towards them as part of your regular semester credit load.
Financial Aid for non-EMU students:
If you’re not a current EMU student, apply for financial aid at your home institution. We can provide cost breakdowns for your study abroad or financial aid advisor at your institution.
For more details on getting started with financial aid, see the study abroad financial planner.
EMU Scholarships and Awards
- EMU Scholarship Database
- Honors Students:
- Departmental Scholarships for Biology or Elementary Science Students
- History Students:
Regional and National Scholarships
There are many regional and national scholarships available. These are just a few.
- African-American Student Scholarships:
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
- Boren Scholarships (Also available for master’s students)
- For Study in Germany:
- For Study in Japan:
- Foundation for Global Scholars
- Freeman-ASIA (Study in Asia)
- Golden Key Study Abroad Scholarship (Golden Key members only)
- Hispanic Heritage Student Scholarships
- Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Minority Science Scholarships (Students in geoscience programs)
For more information, schedule an advising session online.