Faculty Development Center
109 Bruce T. Halle Library
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197
Specify one of these fund codes:
01429 - Bruce K Nelson Faculty Friends Development Fund
02023 - Liggit Family Faculty Development Center Endowment
Checklist for New Faculty & Lecturers
*Important* make sure you complete all onboarding requirements from HR!
First Month on the Job
- Get to know EMU
- Test yourself with a website review. For example, start here and http://www.emich.edu/ and locate:
- Tour the campus
-Your department's home page
-Organization chart for the University
-Office of Records and Registration's Grade Schedule
- Dining Commons (closed until September)
- Eastern Eateries (closed until September)
- College of Business (hint - very near some Ypsi lunch spots!)
Bring all your questions
Do a syllabus check-up
Scan and upload documents for classes
Get sporadic sanity checks as needed
- Find contact information on the EMU Librarian Subject Specialists List
- Learn how to request materials for the collection
- Get good ideas (and some no-nos) for introducing students to library use
- Find out about access to University of Michigan Libraries and other collections
- Tour the my.emich portal
- Learn some tips for using EagleMail email, calendar, and briefcase, on the EagleMail Collaboration Tools page.
- Get your Eagle OneCard (EMU ID Card), required ID card for library and some building access. Pick up yours at 201 Pierce Hall
- Get to know your college tech support
- Mandatory environment health and safety training (ask your Department/Program staff member for the scheduled trainings)
- Mandatory Sexual Harassment online training
- Optional professional development training from Human Resources
- Optional Human Subjects, Research Ethics training from ORD
Checklist of Topics to be Discussed
- To discuss with your Department/Program Staff
- Computer and office setup
- Telephone instructions and codes
- Parking pass and campus parking map
- Mailbox location and mail procedures
- Photocopier procedures
- Travel and absence procedures
- Textbook ordering procedure
- Research/lab/materials/equipment needs
- Classroom needs
- Protocol for contacting the Information Technology (IT) Technologist assigned to your building or program
- Dates of regularly scheduled meetings
- Key deadlines for advancement, course changes, research or travel proposals, etc.
- Plans for individual mentorship or update meetings
- Committee/Service options for the first year
- Advice on record-keeping for annual activity reports and tenure process
- Review your Department Evaluation Document (DED) and Department Input Document (DID) (available here)
Faculty/Staff Health, Fitness and Personal Needs
- PEGN Activity Courses
- Human Resources
- Children's Institute
- Women's Center
Full-time faculty and staff may use tuition waiver benefit to pay for these courses.
REC/IM memberships available. Faculty/Staff may ask for a free pass to try out the facilities.
Contact the Human Resources office to inquire about counseling and support services.
The Children's Institute provides high-quality care and education for children 18 months through 6 years. A full day program is available for toddlers, and full and half-day programs are available for preschoolers. Flights of Imagination, the summer day camp program at the Children's Institute, offers exciting and varied programs for children entering kindergarten through first grade.
The Eastern Michigan University Women's Center encourages and supports the personal growth, academic enrichment, and professional development of all women on campus.
Learn About Ypsilanti, MI
- All about 48197