Eastern Michigan University
The Office of Graduate Studies and Research200 Boone
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Faculty, Lecturer & Staff Recognition Awards
Eastern Michigan recognizes faculty excellence with award ceremonies and honoraria each year.
Distinguished Faculty Awards
Salute to Excellence Week (late March of each year) includes the Distinguished Faculty Awards, which are considered the University's most prestigious awards for faculty. Each award winner receives a $3,500 stipend. Awards include:
- Teaching I and Teaching II
- Scholarly/Creative Activity
- Research I and Research II
- Service to the University
Teaching Excellence Awards
Presented by the EMU Alumni Association, these awards honor outstanding faculty who have distinguished themselves in the classroom. They are presented at a special dinner in October.
Additional Faculty Excellence Awards
Awards recognizing faculty excellence are also presented each year by the Holman Success Center and by the College of Education. Lecturers are also eligible for the Lecturer's Outstanding Teaching Awards.
Lecturer's Outstanding Teaching Award
Also celebrated during Salute to Excellence Week, the Lecturer's Outstanding Teaching Award is a means for the Division of Academic and Student Affairs to honor full-time lecturers who have distinguished themselves as outstanding teachers. The award winner receives a $1,000 stipend.
In addition, part-time lecturers are eligible for the Lecturer's Outstanding Teaching Award.
Distinguished Achievement Recognition Awards
The Division of Academic and Student Affairs celebrates recent significant contributions of university staff members that demonstrate a commitment to EMU’s mission and students’ learning beyond the classroom. Awards include:
- Student Engagement and Success Award
- Leadership Award
- Innovation Award
- Community Engagement and Service Award
Faculty Support Awards
The office of the Provost provides monetary and sabbatical awards to support and foster research and creative activity. These awards include:
- The Summer Research/Creative Activity Award (SRA)- The SRA is intended to encourage and support the research, creative, artistic, and scholarly endeavors of full-time tenured or tenure-track EMU faculty during the summer months (May-August) by providing stipends of $12,000 for outstanding proposals in lieu of summer teaching assignments.
- Sabbatical Leave Awards - These one- or two-semester awards are available to tenure-track or tenured faculty who have served 12 or more semesters of regular full-time employment since their previous sabbatical. Refer to the above link for complete information.
- Faculty Research Fellowship - These awards are available to tenure-track or tenured faculty to support research, creative, artistic and scholarly endeavors. Refer to the above link for complete information.
- Dedicated Time for Sponsored Activity - These awards ensure sufficient time for specific scholarly/creative activities within the faculty member's normal duties.
*Any questions regarding faculty recognition awards or faculty support awards should be directed to The Office of Grauduate Studies and Research by email or by phone at 734.487.4875.