Office of Financial Aid Office of Financial Aid

How will you pay for college?

There are many answers. To supplement their own funds, EMU students receive more than $200 million per year in financial aid. This aid includes scholarships, grants, loans, GA tuition/stipends, athletic grants-in-aid, part-time employment, and fellowships. Financial aid comes from federal, state, EMU, and private sources.

Federal and state aid requires that you (and your parents, if you are a dependent student) contribute as much as you can toward your college expenses. If your family does not have the funds to meet your expenses, you may qualify for need-based financial aid.

Grants are funds awarded to you that do not need to be repaid. They may be based purely on need, or on need and academic achievement.

Scholarships are funds awarded to you that do not need to be repaid. They are usually based on scholastic merit, but are sometimes based on other criteria, such as need, selected major program, or demographic factors.

Loans are funds awarded to you that need to be repaid, with interest, at a later date. Interest rates are generally below those of commercial loans, and repayment periods tend to be longer than commercial loans.

All types of financial aid may only be used to defray your expenses while you are actively enrolled at the University. After you review the information on this website, please contact us with any questions.

Applying for Financial Aid

How to apply?

If you would like to be considered for financial aid at Eastern Michigan University, you will need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The FAFSA may be filed online at The FSA ID ― a username and password ― has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN and must be used to log into certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. If you do not already have an FSA ID, you can create one when logging in to, the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS®) at,,, and Agreement to Serve (ATS) at

The Office of Financial Aid recommends that students submit their FAFSA online in October each year. Some types of aid are available regardless of when you apply, but certain types of aid are considered priority aid and awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis (e.g. Perkins loan, Work Study and SEOG) due to limited funding.

What happens next?

You will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) by e-mail within 3–5 days after your FAFSA has been processed, if you provided an e-mail address when you applied. This e-mail will contain a secure link so you can access your SAR online.

Your SAR will usually contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the number used in determining your eligibility for federal student aid. If you need to make corrections to your SAR, you can make them online using your FSA ID by going to and selecting "Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA."

EMU will receive your data and will determine your aid eligibility. Once processed you will receive an award letter. The award letter will tell you the type of financial aid you are eligible to receive from federal, state, and institutional sources and how much you may receive.

New first-year students will be mailed an award letter starting in January. New transfer students as well as returning students will receive their award letter in early May.