Office of Financial Aid Office of Financial Aid


Top Questions

When will I receive my Financial Aid Notification?

We start to award financial aid to new first year and graduate students beginning in January based on admission date and FAFSA submission. New transfer and continuing students are awarded in early May (after winter semester grades have posted).

When will I receive my financial aid?

Financial aid disburses to your ebill approximately 10 days before the start of the semester.

When will I receive my financial aid refund?

Financial aid is applied directly to your tuition, room/board, and other university charges. If the financial aid offered exceeds your university charges, you will receive a refund. Financial aid refunds are processed weekly starting 1-3 days before the start of the semester. To activate or confirm your refund preference, go to

Do I need to do anything else?

The best way to avoid delays with your financial aid is to stay informed about the process. Monitor your my.emich email account for information requests and details about important dates. Be sure to report any outside awards you are receiving as soon as possible so we can account for them in your overall financial aid package. Finally, monitor your Outstanding Requirements in your my.emich account.

I have financial aid available for the upcoming semester, how can I buy my books using my financial aid?

Students should plan to spend $300-$500 for books and supplies each semester. If you will receive a refund, you can use it to buy your books once it has been released to your Eagleone card. If you aren't receiving a refund, you can buy books with cash, check, or credit/debit cards.

Remember, financial aid refunds are available just a few days before the start of the semester. If you submit your FAFSA and/or outstanding requirements late or register in an untimely fashion, your aid will be delayed which will affect your refund.

General Application FAQs

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes. You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The FAFSA is available online each October at Please note the Office of Financial Aid recommends completing your FAFSA early each year in order to receive priority consideration for aid.

Do I have to report my stepparent's financial information?

Yes, but according to one of the following situations:

  • Situation A: If you lived with your mother and stepfather the majority of the time during the past 12 months, then you would report both your mother's income and your stepfather's income. (This is true even if your father paid child support to your mother.)
  • Situation B: If you lived with your father and stepmother the majority of the time during the past 12 months, then you would report both your father's income and your stepmother's income. (This is true even if your mother paid child support to your father.)
  • Situation C: If both your mother and father shared custody of you equally during the past 12 months, then you would report the income of the parent and stepparent who provided the most financial support during that time.
Am I allowed to receive financial aid from more than one institution at the same time?

No. If you are enrolled at more than one college or university at the same time, you may receive financial aid from one of the institutions, not both.

Can guest students receive financial aid?

No. Guest students are not eligible to receive financial aid. You may, however, be eligible to apply for an private loan through the private loan program.

I have been notified that my Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application was selected for verification. What information do I need to provide your office?

Once your FAFSA application is received in our office, we will notify you directly if we require additional information.

What is Verification?

Verification is a process mandated by the U.S Department of Education to verify the accuracy of the information provided on the FAFSA via submission of specific documentation and forms by the student and/or parent. All requested documentation must be provided before a student's financial aid will be released. More information can be found here.

Tax FAQs

Do I have to report any grants, scholarships, or fellowships on my Federal Income tax return?

Part or all of a grant, scholarship, or fellowship may be taxable even if you do not receive a W-2 form. If you are in a degree program, the amount you use for expenses other than tuition and course-related expenses are taxable (e.g. amounts used for room, board, and travel are taxable). Additional information is available on the IRS website.

I filed an extension for my federal tax return. Can I still apply for financial aid?

Yes. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) allows you to estimate your federal tax information.

Billing and refund FAQs

Why did I receive a bill from Student Accounting? I have financial aid.

Financial aid cannot be applied to your university charges until 10 days prior to the start of the semester. The billing statement will reflect your pending financial aid payments if all required steps (e.g. accepting your aid, completing outstanding requirements, meeting enrollment requirements) have been satisfied.