Office of Financial Aid Office of Financial Aid

Undergraduate Student Employment

Graduate students seeking employment may be eligible for Graduate Assistantships or regular student employment.

What is work-study?

A college work study award is money that you earn while doing part-time work on or off campus. You will receive these funds from your employer bi-weekly in the form of a paycheck.

Application Process

College work study is a need-based award. Priority consideration is given to undergraduate students who filed their FAFSA's (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by late January each year.

If you have been awarded work study it is your responsibility to find employment and begin earning by the end of September or your work study funds may be cancelled. For assistance in finding employment please visit Career Services in 200 McKenny Hall.

College work study works differently than most financial aid as it will be paid to you in the form of a paycheck every two weeks, rather than directly to your student account. It is up to you to apply your earnings to your student account if necessary.

How much will I receive?

The work study award listed on your Financial Aid Award Letter represents the maximum amount you may earn through the work study program over the course of the academic year

How do I receive my College Work-Study award?

A college work study award is money that you earn while doing part-time work on or off campus. You will receive these funds from your employer bi-weekly in the form of a paycheck.

Is College Work Study taxable?

Yes. Any money you receive as a result of work is considered taxable income. You will be asked to file a withholding form (W-4), and you will receive a statement of income and taxes withheld form (W-2) each calendar year.

Graduate Student Federal Work Study Details
  • Graduate students can be nominated to receive Graduate Work Study (GWS) by participating academic departments. GWS awards are not offered automatically as a part of a student's financial aid package.
  • A GWS position typically takes the form of an assistantship offered by the student's academic department.
  • A graduate student must file a FAFSA, be enrolled in a degree seeking program of study, and have enough unmet need to accommodate the GWS award.
Full-Time Summer Work Study

Full-time work study provides employment opportunities for students who will not be enrolled during the summer semester. The funds earned help meet the educational expenses for the following fall and winter semesters. Students may work a maximum of 29 hours per week, but total earnings cannot exceed the summer work study award. The hourly pay rate is determined by the employer.

To be eligible for full-time work study, you:

  • Cannot be enrolled in classes during the summer semester. If a student is awarded full-time work study and enrolls for summer, earnings will be transferred to the employer's budget.
  • Must have filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and have submitted all required documentation to the Office of Financial Aid.
  • Must plan to enroll at EMU at least half-time in the following award year.
  • Must demonstrate need as determined by the FAFSA.
  • A portion of the net earnings may be used as a resource in the determination in the following award year.
How do I find a job?

Students may utilize the University Advising and Career Development Center web site to review job postings, job fair and workshop information. The site includes postings for work study and regular (do not require that the student has been awarded work study) jobs.