Eastern Michigan University
Highest HonorsHighest Honors marks the most distinctive recognition of academic excellence in the Honors College. Upon completion of 56 credits, students may apply for Highest Honors. Completion of Highest Honors demonstrates a commitment to community, international awareness, service, and research. Students must apply for Highest Honors before they exceed 84 credits, maintain a 3.7 or higher cumulative GPA, and complete specific requirements outlined in our Student Handbook under, "Graduating with Honors."
For individuals following an Honors Student Handbook prior to 2011, Highest Honors recognizes students who satisfy both the university and departmental honors requirements.
The requirements include:
- Submitting a Highest Honors application between 56 and 84 completed EMU credits
- 3.7 GPA
- 24 Honors credits (inclusive of credits towards both University and/or Departmental Honors)
- Completing either a Study abroad trip, demonstrating competency of a world language at a 2nd year level, or an International internship.
- 60 hours community service
- Either contributing with a faculty member on a publication, or presenting at the Undergraduate Symposium or similar style conference.