Double Room Selection
2013-14 DOUBLE ROOM SELECTION
Priority Selection Phase
Room Selection is the process during which current residence hall students have first priority to select a hall for next year's 2013-14 academic year before new incoming freshmen, transfer, or off-campus students are assigned.
ONLY those students who currently live in the residence halls for the Winter 2013 semester are eligible to participate in the Priority Room Selection process.
NOTE: Many halls have already filled. If a specific hall is not presented to you on the application, email the Housing Office at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, EID and the hall that you prefer and we will add your name to the Wait List.
There are no single rooms left at this point.
To reserve a room for Fall 2013, you will need to:
- Complete the on-line application
- The $200 prepayment is waived only if you currently live in the residence halls for the winter 2013 semester.
- Carefully read over all of the following information!
- Questions regarding the room selection process should be sent to: email@example.com.
- Do not direct questions to your RA, the staff at front desks, or any other office on campus. They are not familiar with Room Selection information and they typically give incorrect information.
- Only questions that are answered via the firstname.lastname@example.org email will be considered valid. This assures that you are getting the most accurate information.
Double Room Selection
Buell, Downing, Hoyt, and the Village
You are responsible for reading and knowing all of the information provided. Questions should be directed to the Residence Life email
DOUBLE ROOM AVAILABLILTY
- Students currently living in Phelps, Sellers, Walton, Putnam, Best, and Wise are not eligible to return to those halls for the fall.
- Both double and single rooms are being offered in Hoyt and the Village. Be certain that you select the correct room type that you wish to have when completing the contract.
- Double rooms in Hoyt, Buell, and Downing have two people per bedroom.
- Double rooms in the Village have two students living in each of three bedrooms. The 4th bedroom is a single room only at the single room rate. (7 students to an apartment)
- No single rooms are available in Buell or Downing.
- To return to your current room (if eligible) or to request a specific roommate/suitemate, the contract should be submitted during the priority phase going on now through February 1, 2013.
- Students are still eligible to apply for a double room after the priority deadline, but no guarantee will be made for a specific room or roommate/suitemate request.
- The Residence Life Office will not move a student who was assigned into a room during the priority phase to another room in order to accommodate a person whose contract is submitted AFTER the priority deadline.
DOWNING HALL ELIGIBILITY
- Current students requesting Downing Hall must be an admitted member of the Honors College. While in past years we have been able to accommodate some non-Honors college students, admittance to the Honors College has increased and that building is being reserved for Honors admitted students only.
- Students must decide who they want as a roommate or suitemate BEFORE completing the contract. Waiting until after an assignment has been confirmed will result in a request not being able to be accommodated.
- Each student must mutually request one another on the contract along with each person's username in order to be assigned together.
- If you request a roommate and/or suitemate and one or more of the requested persons does not submit a contract by the February 1 priority deadline, then none of the group will be assigned until such time as all contracts have been received.
- Please check with each other to be certain that everyone has submitted their contract so as to avoid any assignment delays.
- Students who submit a contract up through May 1, 2013 will receive their fall assignment via e-mail on a rolling basis.
- Students who submit a contract after May 1, 2013, will receive email notification in early August.
- If it becomes necessary to cancel the contract, it must be done in writing to the Residence Life Office at email@example.com using your EMU my.emich email account. Cancellation requests sent from any other email address are not accepted. The my.emich account validates a student's identity and reduces the risk of fraudulent requests.
- Cancellations must be received prior to the dates below to avoid being assessed a cancellation fee:
- Before May 1, 2013: No cancellation fee
- Before July 1, 2013: $100 cancellation fee
- After July 1, 2013: $200 cancellation fee
- Contracts submitted after May 1st are subject to the same refund schedule as above.
- Contracts submitted after July 1st would be assessed the full $200 cancellation fee.
- If you expect to use financial aid funds to cover any of your college expenses, you must complete the 2013 FAFSA form no later than May 1, 2013.
- Students must reapply for a FAFSA each year.
- FAFSA information can be found at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- Students completing a 2013-14 contract are committing for the full 8 months of both the fall and winter semesters.
- Students are responsible for ensuring that they have the funds available to cover the costs of room and board for the full academic year (September through April) before moving in.
- Once a student moves into their assignment, no release from the contract will be given to move off campus, to a sorority/fraternity house, or to commute from home.
- An enrolled student who moves out of the hall anytime during the contract period remains financialy obligated for the full room and board costs for the remainder of the academic year.
Read Before You Proceed!!
Do NOT complete the contract unless you are ready to commit to living on campus for next year. Since an upfront prepayment is not being asked of current residence hall students, only those that know for sure they are living on campus next year should proceed.
If you are unsure of what your are doing for the fall, you may want to wait wait until your plans are finalized.
After you submit the information, the last page will ask for a prepayment. You do NOT need to make the payment. You can log out when you get to that page. We will apply waivers at the end of each day; therefore you will continue to see the payment needed page for up to 24 hours after you initially submit the contract.