First Year Center Halls
The First Year Center halls are designed to assist you in your transition to college. It will help lay the foundation for your success at Eastern Michigan University.
In collaboration with other University offices, the Housing staff develops and provides the programs and services that will assist you in your transition.
The Housing and Dining Services staff is committed to creating an atmosphere that will allow you to excel academically and enhance your social and cross-cultural awareness, while fostering a sense of community, and school spirit at Eastern Michigan University.
In the First Year Center, you will learn to:
- Develop confidence and self respect.
- Have the opportunity to learn strategies for academic success.
- Develop good study skills and habits.
- Take advantage of University resources.
- Develop relationships and enjoy people and different cultures.
- Develop relationships with faculty and staff.
- Make friends and have fun.
- Learn about healthy behaviors including nutrition, relationships and exercise.
The First Year Center is managed by Area Complex Directors (ACD). These full-time professionals have obtained a master's degree in college student personnel or similar degree and have experience working with residence hall students. His/Her primary responsibility is to manage the living-learning environment in conjunction with graduate student staff. The ACD and GHDs supervise carefully selected and trained upper-level student staff who are located on every floor to assist with resident needs.
- The First Year Center halls consist of Phelps, Sellers, Walton, Putnam
- All are closed for the break between fall and winter and the mid-winter recess.
- Reserved for new incoming freshmen only
- Rooms are double occupancy with a semi-private bath
- A mix of coed by floor and every other suite.
- Living/Learning Communities and Theme Floor offerings
- Cable TV access
- ResNet internet in each room
- Wireless throughout the complex
- Ice machine and vending area
- Laundry room