318 Porter Building
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Objectives of ESO
- To provide a forum for students in the Exercise Science Program for bonding and camaraderie.
- To provide information on student memberships in Organizations that serves the field of Exercise Science.
- To provide information about certifications in the field of Exercise Science
- To provide information on Practicums and Internships.
- To provide information about graduate programs in areas related to Exercise Physiology.
- To provide information on how to look for and find jobs in the field of Exercise Science.
- To provide financial assistance to students in the Exercise Science program presenting at state, regional or national conferences.
The name of this organization shall be The Exercise Science Organization.
The Exercise Science Organization shall be a club for students in the Exercise science Sport Medicine Program at Eastern Michigan University, founded upon a basis of superior scholarship, and with the avowed purpose of advancing educational ideals. It shall exist to meet the needs of close fellowship and social intercourse among persons of like ideas, interested in the same goals, and striving to advance the interests of education.
Section 1. Classes of members shall be the following
A. Active Members
- Students of the University who (a) are in the Exercise Science Apprentice program, (b) are currently enrolled in or have completed SPMD 119.
- To remain an active member, it shall be necessary to attend 75% of all regular meetings, speaker meetings, and committee meetings. Excused absences consist of those that are beyond the control of the individual at the discretion of the Executive Committee. Notification for the excused absence must be given to a member of the executive committee either orally or in written form within 24 hours of the missed event. If a member fails to meet any of these requirements, he/she shall be placed on the involuntary inactive roll until such time he/she meets the requirements of active status.
B. Honorary Members
- Alumni, Faculty, Graduates, and staff members of EMU may be initiated Into the Exercise Science Organization by a three-fourths (3/4) votes of the active members present at a regular meeting.
C. Inactivity and Expulsion
- The member seeking inactivity, which shall encompass a legal loss of voting privileges, shall present a letter of inactivity to the secretary before the beginning of the second regular meeting of the semester. Inactivity shall be effective upon receipt of the letter. The inactive member shall no longer be required to attend meeting. Persons requesting inactivity shall submit a letter of inactivity for each semester they wish to remain inactive.
- Grounds for expulsion from the club shall be any incident defines as unbecoming of a member of the Exercise Science Organizations as determined by a three-fourths (3/4) majority of all the active members.
D. Non-Discriminatory Policy
1. Membership into The Exercise Science Organization is open to the entire qualified EMU community without regard to race, creed, color, disability, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, or sexual orientation.
At least one full-time faculty or staff member of the EMU community is to be selected to advise and counsel the members. The advisor(s) shall serve the best interests of the organization and its member and reasonably attempt to ensure that all business conducted by the organization meets University policies.
A. Qualification of Officers
- All officers shall posses the minimum requirements for active members.
- All officer shall be undergraduate members in good standing and have at least one full semester of active membership.
B. Duties of Officers
- The president shall preside at regular and special meetings, shall promote the general interest of the Exercise Science Organization and shall see that all rules and regulations are followed.
- The Vice-President shall preside in the absence of the President, shall serve as President in the event of the latter’s disability, and shall organize and oversee the operation of committees.
- The Sectary shall preserve the constitution, records, and other documents and supplies of the Exercise Science Organization. This person shall also keep accurate minutes and roll of all meetings.
- The Treasurer shall receive all monies of The Exercise Science Organization, provide for their safe keeping, pay all debts, authorized the membership, pay anticipated committee expenses if approved by the membership, maintain a record of receipts and expenditures, report at regular meetings, and make special reports when relinquishing possession of the records to the newly elected Treasurer before the last regular meeting of his/her term of office.
C. Election of Officers
- Any member interested in becoming an officer of the Exercise Science Organization must submit a letter of intent to the President, before the date specified by the executive committee.
- Elections of the President and Treasurer shall be held no later than the third Thursday of September.
- A simple majority of the active members will be required to elect the officers.
- Election of Vice-President and Secretary shall be held no later that the third Thursday of September.
- Any vacancies shall be filled by the executive council and approved by a majority vote of the active members present at a regular meeting.
- In the case of a tie, the Club advisor shall cast the deciding vote.
D. Terms of Office
- The term of office shall be one year, from the beginning of the Fall semester to the end of the following Winter semester.
E. Impeachment Procedures
- The President, Vice-President and all other officers shall be removed for office on the impeachment for failure to fulfill the duties of their respected offices.
- A motion calling for impeachment shall be accepted from an active member.
- This motion must be accepted by a two-thirds majority of the active members.
- The court for this trail shall consist of eight active members chosen at random (not including the accused), who will serve as the presiding court officer. This court shall meet within two weeks of the impeachment.
- This court shall try the accused and make a recommendation to the members within two regular meetings
- After the court has made its recommendation, it shall take a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the entire active membership to convict the accused.
- If the accused is convicted, immediate resignation form the office shall be required.
- Faculty advisors have the right to impeach any officer whom they believe unsuitable for the position.
A. There shall be a meeting every month after the first meetings of each semester.
B. The date, time and place of all regular meeting shall be called by the President with the agreement of the membership at the first meeting of each semester.
C. The executive committee may call special meetings in the case of special events with members being notified a week in advance.
D. In the event of an emergency the President shall cal an executive committee meeting or special meeting if deemed necessary.
The Treasurer and the Club advisor(s) shall audit the accounts of the Exercise Science Organization at least once each school year.
The constitution may be amended at any regular or special meeting by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the active members, provided the amendment shall have been submitted in writing to the membership at the preceding regular meeting.
This constitution shall be declared ratified and in force when approved by two-third (2/3) of the active members.
Clothing Order Form