318 Porter Building
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Eta Sigma Gamma
Beta Delta (EMU Chapter)
Eta Sigma Gamma is the national professional health education honorary. This organization is designed specifically for professionals in health education or health science anywhere in the United States as well as other countries.
Eta Sigma Gamma was founded on the campus of Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana, on August 14, 1967, by Warren E. Schaller, H.S.D., William Bock, Ph.D., and Robert J. Synovitz, H.S.D. Today there are over 120 chapters representing thousands of students. Beta Delta is the chapter of Eta Sigma Gamma at Eastern Michigan University.
The primary objective of Eta Sigma Gamma is to further the professional competence and dedication of the individual members of the health education discipline by:
- motivating and recognizing service and academic achievement
- developing and implementing new educational strategies, materials and programs to further the profession
- conducting and stimulating scientific research, and
- upholding and developing high professional standards and ethics for members of the profession
EMU students who are interested in joining the Beta Delta chapter please contact: Joan Cowdery 734.487.7120, ext. 2698 (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) or
Chris Karshin, Ph.D at 734-487-7120, ext. 2705 (Email: email@example.com), for application information.
(1) an overall grade point average of 2.70 or higher
(2) health education declared as their undergraduate minor, postbaccalaureate minor, or graduate major
(3) completion of two semesters at Eastern Michigan University.
There is an initial membership fee that includes the annual membership dues and the costs associated with initiation materials. Upon initiation, each member receives a certificate of membership, an official pin of the honorary, and a subscription to the Health Educator and the Health Education Monograph. Initiation into the Beta Delta chapter is held during the fall semester and occasionally during winter semester, also. Attendance at the initiation ceremony is required for applicants to become members.
To find out about additional opportunities extended to members, please visit the national organization website at http://www.etasigmagamma.org