Eastern Michigan University
Develops, implements, counsels and enrolls all faculty and staff in specific benefit programs. Processes all benefit claims. Administers the employee tuition waiver program. Administers all University retirement programs and processes tax deferred annuity plans.
Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization ACT 2009 (CHIPRA)
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) requires group health plans to permit special enrollment periods for eligible persons who experience a qualified change in status (e.g. birth, marriage, divorce, loss of coverage). Effective April 1, 2009, the Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 (CHIPRA) adds two new special enrollment events.
- You or your dependent(s) will be permitted to enroll or disenroll in Eastern Michigan University’s medical coverage in either of the following circumstances.
- You or your dependent’s Medicaid or state Children’s Health insurance Program (CHIP) coverage is cancelled due to a loss of eligibility. You must request to enroll in our group health plan within sixty (60) days from the date you or your dependent loses coverage. You must provide written notification from Medicaid or state CHIP of the cancellation.
- You or your dependent(s) enroll in Medicaid or the state CHIP. You may cancel coverage in our group health plan within sixty (60) days of you or your dependent’s coverage effective date. We will need written verification of coverage through Medicaid or state CHIP.
- It is your responsibility to notify the Human Resources Benefits Office within sixty (60) days after gaining or losing coverage in Medicaid or the state CHIP. Your coverage will be in effect the date you lost or gained coverage in Medicaid or the state CHIP.
- For further details on Medicaid or the state CHIP (also known as MIChild), contact the Michigan Department of Community Health.
- The toll-free number is 1-888-988-6300
- To apply on-line, visit https://healthcare4mi.com/michild-web/
- Contact the Benefits Office, 140 Mc Kenny Hall, (734) 487-3195