Diversity & Affirmative Action
The Office of Diversity and Affirmative Action provides programs fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We're a resource for the entire EMU community for all diversity and equal opportunity issues.
Here are a few things we do:
- Provide guidance in Eastern’s hiring activities to meet affirmative action goals.
- Monitor recruitment ensuring compliance with policies and procedures, federal and state laws and collective bargaining agreements.
- Give guidance on student recruitment to maintain a diverse student body.
- Investigate complaints filed against employees.
- Ensure vendors reflect the diversity of EMU and the community.
- Conduct trainings and workshops on affirmative action, equal opportunity employment and diversity issues as well as discrimination, harassment and fair employment practices.
- Monitor pending state and federal legislation and policy developments related to affirmative action and EOE and participate in related hearings.
- Conduct an annual affirmative action audit and prepare an annual action plan.
- Participate on various university and community committees and organizations representing EMU.
EMU provides a collaborative, welcoming and supportive culture where differing ideas, behaviors and backgrounds contribute to the educational experience that includes a global and multicultural perspective enhancing the individual, society and the world.
Are you looking to increase diversity in your department? Visit our diversity resources page.