Eastern Michigan University
More About Tutoring - Things to Know
Things to know and expect about tutoring:
- All tutoring sessions are to be on a regularly-set schedule. Services are not meant to be drop-in tutoring.
- Meeting cancellations must occur 24 hours before a scheduled tutoring session.
- Missing three sessions without ample notification (24 hours) may result in loss of tutoring services.
- If the student no longer requires a tutor, s/he must email his/her tutor and cancel the remainder of the services.
- Cell phone use is not permitted during tutoring sessions.
- Preparedness (notes, pencil, paper, book, etc.) is expected from the student every session.
- The student is required to stay in contact with his/her tutor as long as the tutorship is to continue.
- It is understood that the student and tutor may meet up for two hours a week per course being tutored.
- Tutors will not disclose any student records. They will maintain complete confidentiality of all student information.
What not to expect about tutoring:
- Tutors will NOT do your work for you! They will not write, edit or proofread your papers. They will not give you direct answers without asking you questions.
- Tutors will not re-teach the course material. You must attend class, do the assigned reading, and take notes to receive tutoring.
- Tutors will not be available exclusively for study sessions before exams. You are expected to meet with your tutor every week.
- Tutors will not complete homework assignments for you.