Eastern Michigan University
What can I do with a major in IESS?
IESS provides you with a number of opportunities to develop a career path in the environment. Internships, study-abroad programs, and research opportunities are a few examples. EMU also has student organizations that provide volunteer opportunities in environmental projects
Outside resources such as the ones listed in this part of the web site can help you find the right path to your career:
Example Graduate Programs you can pursue after a bachelor's degree in IESS
Arizona State University
- Master of Arts in Sustainability
- Master of Science in Sustainability
- Master's in Sustainable Solutions
- Executive Master's for Sustainability Leadership
- MBA in Sustainability
- MS in Environmental Policy
- MS in Climate Science and Policy
- Dual Degrees
- Peace Corps Programs
- 3+2 Programs
- Professional Certificates
Colorado State University
Kenan-Flaglar Business School
Kent State University
Michigan State University
- Climatology Research
- Crop and Soil Science- Master of Science
- Crop and Soil Science- Environmental Toxicology
- Environmental Design - Master of Arts
- Environmental Geosciences- Master of Science
- Environmental Geosciences- Environmental Toxicology- Doctor of Philosophy
- Forest Carbon Science, Policy and Management (Online Graduate Certificate)
- Forestry- Master of Science
- Forestry- Environmental Toxicology
- Geological Sciences- Master of Science
- Landscape Architecture Program
- Molecular Biology (Environmental Toxicology- doctorate)
- Sustainable Tourism and Protected Area Management- Master of Science
- Applied Natural Resource Economics (MS)
- Environmental Engineering (MS)
- Environmental Engineering Science (MS)
- Environmental and Energy Policy (MS)
- Forestry (MF, MS)
- Forest Ecology and Management (MS)
- Geology (MS)
- Geophysics (MS)
Rochester Institute of Technology
University of Michigan
- Biology Chemistry (MA)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (MA)
- Earth and Environmental Sciences (MS)
- Environmental Health Sciences (MS)
- Environmental Justice Certificate
- Masters of Landscape Architecture
University of Vermont
- Breakthrough Leaders Professional Certificate in Sustainable Food Systems
- Certificate of Graduate Study in Environmental Public Health
- Ecological Economics
- Ecological Leadership
- Masters of Science, Leadership for Sustainability
- Professional Certificate in Campus Sustainability & Leadership
- Professional Certificate in Sustainable Business Practices
Example careers you can pursue with a bachelor’s degree in IESS: (some will require further training beyond the B.S.)
- Wildlife/fishery Technician
- Environmental Science Technician - one of Newsweek’s “50 Best Careers 2011”
- Environmental Chemist
- Sustainability Manager
- Environmental Policy Analyst
- Environmental Quality Analyst
- Program Manager in an Environmental NGO (a non-profit), such as Conservation International or WWF
- Work for Local, State or Federal Governments, like the Michigan Department of Natural Resources of the US EPA
- Other areas of employment: Planning, Hazardous Waste Management, Land and Water Conservation, Wildlife Management, Parks and Outdoor Recreation, Air or Water Quality Management, and many more.
- Government (local, federal, state)
- Non-profit organizations
- Land developers
- Environmental consulting firms
- Chemical industry
- Utility companies
- And many more.
Sample Career Stories:
- Environmental Scientist at the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Environmental Protection Engineer at a State Agency
- Environmental Advocate and Educator
- E nvironmental Scientist for a River Preservation Agency
- Teacher Education Specialist at a Natural History Museum
Other sources of information:
United States Bureau of Labor Statistics - Explains some environmental career tracks in detail, gives employment outlook for the careers and average wages, and provides job boards (worth browsing occasionally, even when you are just starting your studies).
- http://www.greencareersguide.com - Contains many job profiles.
- http://glin.net/infocenter/news/jobs.html- - Great Lakes oriented!
- http://wfsc.tamu.edu/jobboard/ - Many different student opportunities (includes sponsored graduate study in wildlife and fisheries).
- https://netimpact.org/ - Green America (National Green Pages TM) has the biggest pooling of green businesses in the nation.
- Michigan Based Green Companies
- EMU GREEN - Get active on campus and meet like-minded people.
- Green Corps
- Student Conservation Association - Many internship opportunities relevant to your studies and career.
- Peace Corps - This is where you can put your IESS degree into action - abroad.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - Offers numerous paid student internships.
Different career options and graduate school programs complementary to a degree in IESS: IESS Information Session pt. 2 (9/11/14) (4-part YouTube series)